Return to Website

Forum for Sophie's World

Discussion groups for a variety of topics on the book "Sophie's World" and Commentary.

Note that any entry used for spam will be deleted without warning!

Forum for Sophie's World
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
was it just me...

was it just me or was this book on crack? it was a great book for introductory philosophy, but wow i don't think the plot of the story really helped when winnie the pooh and others showed up. but then again, maybe that was just me???

oh, has anyone read Ender's Game or anything from the series, and link the use of the pen name Locke to the real philosopher? I thought that was a great book.

Re: was it just me...

enders series rules i wish orson scott card would make more! and u didnt get locke and demosthenes b4?! incase u didnt kno demosthenes was a man who spoke to the greeks to try to invoke a rebellion against the romans. He was killed if i remeber correctly.

Re: was it just me...

the enders game series seems to have something in common with sophies world (my version was sofies welt-german b/ never mind). both authors seem to write brilliant books but can't fit the perfect end. i don't know if thats intentional or they just want to get done with the book. plainly speaking i find one important difference between ender and sophie- in terms of the whole book- while card in xenocide evidently almost rambled on the physics and philosophy syllabus, gaarder used a more primitive approach. in this, many people make a childrens book out of it. but when itc omes down to it, no matter how complicated we explain our ideas, they basics of it are in no need of the complex formulation, or? i'm neither criticising card nor gaarder. just want to say that the idea of 'introduction to philosophy' for sophies world is highly underestimated. the philosophy, in my opinion, happens in my/your/our own head. its what i/you/we make out of the book that really matters, or?