Return to Website

Forum for Sophie's World

Discussion groups for a variety of topics on the book "Sophie's World" and Commentary.

Note that any entry used for spam will be deleted without warning!

Forum for Sophie's World
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
the meaning of the ending of the book

What is the meaning of the ending? To me, it reminded me of the Matrix. Sophie's world was created by Hilde's father and Hilde's world was created by the author. so yea, please help

Re: the meaning of the ending of the book

I think the ending is meant to show the uncertianty of the world we live in. There is some semblance of reality as we think it is or should be, but some of the occurances appear bizzare. How bizzare they really are is relative. To Sophie, things seem insane at first, then she grows to accept them, where as HIlde always sees Sophie's story as imaginary.

As for one wrold being created inside another it is again to cause one to question the origins of their own reality. What created us? Is our world real? sophie thought her's was, and so did Hilde.

I could continue in circles about who's world is real and who's is most bizzare but it would get nowhere. The point of the end is we dont know waht is real and what isn't. That is somethign taht is aboslutely beyond human comprehension. All we can do is live in teh reality we are given and make the best of it. Strange as their stories were, everything turned out alright for Sophie and Hilde. It suggests that despite the fact that the only certainty we have is that nothign is certian, there is the possibility of a grand master plan that has everythign work out and everythign will one day be as it should be.

I hope I've helped and not just made you dizzy.

Re: the meaning of the ending of the book

Hi,
The meaning of the book is in the ending. well as the author says the understanding of the book might not explain the ending and the understanding of the ending is not as simple as many people think.
Sophie's life is a story in another book, this plot is to show mainly that there are a lot of thing which (sometimes predeterminently) conltrol our lives. This is also the same philosophy in matrix. when i say control its not ur actions but dependability on emotions , feelings and logic etc. Now emotions , feelings and even logic can be softwares like how it is for computers. in other words our emotions like love, hate , anger etc are all weaknesses and feelings like boring , happiness , sadness are also weakness . because these things color ur view. so when u understand the truth nothing can affect u. for example lets say ur parents die in front of you. u wouldnt cry because u have understood the truth. emotions and other feelings affect ur balance. u bias subconciously or conciously. so loosing all these emotions and feelings or atleast controlling will take u to the truth. This is what happens when sophie understands the truth. after she understands how the world works she could set herself free from a programmer called albert knag. and then nothing affected her she could go thro walls. thts wht it means. the ending....but the philosophy to be uderstood cannot be written in a mail . there is more.... mail me back if interested. thank you

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What is the meaning of the ending? To me, it reminded me of the Matrix. Sophie's world was created by Hilde's father and Hilde's world was created by the author. so yea, please help

Re: Re: the meaning of the ending of the book

I'm nearly lost in this book...
I really wan to know what the ending means....