Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Come in Dungannon I know your knock

Does anyone know where or when this saying originated ?
Joseph Tomelty used it in a radio programme in the 50s

donald

ps: Thank goodness we are back on the air again, the last few days without the forum were hard -

Re: Come in Dungannon I know your knock

Donald, My Mum used to say it and she was from Limavady. All the best Margaret

Maggie
I thought it may have been an extract from a stage play or comedy. It was used quite a bit around Lisburn in the 50s, maybe the people just picked it up from Joseph Tomelty,s radio show.
donald

was the milkman or a regular country drop in from Dungannon, thus the saying. on the show?

Donald, Granda on the McCoeys used to say it a lot. The actors name I think was J.G.Devlin?.Every body of a certain age will remember The McCoeys,of coarse? Frank

Hallo Frank
was browsing the web just now and found this very interesting piece of information. Is it possible the saying originated from some ritual in Freemasonry?

http://irishmasonicjewels.ie/Royal%20Arch%20Chapter%20Ex.%20Comp.%20James%20Penny.pdf

THE ROYAL ARCH CHAPTER
AND ITS PLACE IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF
IRISH FREEMASONRY

Although officially the Grand Lodge, in Dublin was formed in 1725, Lepper
and Crossle in their book the 'History of the Grand Lodge of Ireland', suggest that the
date may be as early as 1721/22, The date of 1725 is taken from a newspaper of the
day, 'The Dublin Weekly Journal' No.13 issued 26th June 1725, and mentions the
installation of a new Grand Master.
Many of the early records of Grand Lodge were lost, during what was to
become known as 'the Seton revolt' when the then Deputy Grand Secretary, Alexander
Seton set up a Rival Grand Lodge 'The Grand East of Ulster' in Dungannon (Co.
Tyrone). Grand Lodge may have lost its early records but the Ulster dialect gained a
phrase "Come in Dungannon, I know your knock". It must be remembered that
Dublin, in 1725, was the seat of the government in Ireland and any Freemasonry
within the city and the Pale would have been strongly influenced by the English
workings of the day. However, this new Grand Lodge met with no opposition, which
is surprising, as the province of Munster was to form its own Grand Lodge a year later
1726, this Grand Lodge did not unite with the body in Dublin until 1730. Brethren, to
this day the Masonic Province of Munster has its own working and any Scottish mason
who visits will immediately feel at home. The port of Cork had long establish trading
links with Bristol which as English Masons will know also has different workings to
that found in the rest of their Constitution!
The first Grand Master of Ireland w

Very interesting bit of info.,re. masons, possible answer to the question.

Correct on the McCooeys

I heard it was about Lord Dungannon visiting houses during the famine?

tried twice to reply but each time was blocked
donald

Rosie thanks for the info but I cannot imagine tenants of that period addressing a Landlord simply by his surname as they would have ended up out on their ear and he would have expected to be addressed as " Your Lordship"

I read that it was part of a ceremony by the Irish Free Masons as respect as they were founded in Dungannon
donald

Donald, I know this saying too, although I don't use it. Funnily enough, that particular saying was being discussed the other morning on Radio Ulster but I was busy and didn't pay any attention otherwise I might have been able to give you the answer.

Ann,
According to a man on Radio Ulster who lives in Dungannon. The saying should be "Come in Dungannon I know your Knox". There was a large family Knox in the that area and when they went calling that is what their friends said. It must have changed over the years !

Margaret, only getting back on the Forum today. Thanks the info on the Radio Ulster version of "Come in, Dungannon". Do you miss Gerry as much as I do? Sean is OK and his music is good but the banter is not a patch on Gerry's. I wonder will the show last or do you think they may change it. I personally have been thinking of turning over to another station but am still only thinking about it, probably out of loyalty. I see Wendy Austen is giving up Talkback, so another change. Once Hugo comes on I switch off. Can't stand the man and his same old sayings. Do you think I'm a bit grumpy this morning?

What has happened here? This appeared out of the blue
donald