Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Skin Irritation & Blisters Around Stoma

Aloha,
I'm experiencing blisters around the edge of the stoma wafer adhesive. In the hospital, most were large, like 1/2". About 3 weeks out from operation, doc recommended 500 mg Vit C/day. Next time I changed the stoma wafer, the blister size had reduced to 1/4" or smaller. The skin around the stoma looks irritated. The blisters mostly form at the edge or just under the adhesive that surrounds & holds the wafer in place.
Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Thanks,
Joe

Re: Skin Irritation & Blisters Around Stoma

Joe,

I think you'd get more help from a bladder cancer support site. Try BCAN. Many of the users of that site have experience with ileal conduits.

It sounds like you have an intolerance to the present adhesive. This isn't uncommon and you may need to experiment to get the right one. Your Stoma Nurse should be able to help.

Good Luck.

Ed

Aloha Sir Ed Netta,
Thanks, I have joined BCAN.
I have been in constant touch with my surgeon & ostomy nurse. My last stoma wafer change yesterday looked much better. Does not seem to be much info on this particular problem. I discussed the fact, with the doc before surgery that I do get blisters. Since living in Hawaii, I stopped wearing underpants for that reason (blisters), especially when I was working in Kailua Kona. After radiation, I had to wear underclothes to catch & hold stuff. Since the ostomy I am back to not wearing any un-necessary clothes when I work outside during the day. Wonderful! It will take a while before I am back up to snuff. Three hours of coffee tree work and it is nap time!!!!
Thanks again,
Joe

Aloha,
On the UOAA Discussion Board, I found an article by Mike D'Orazio which describes the different conditions of skin irritation around the stoma.
http://woundostomycontinence.com/mike/peristomaldermatites.pdf
This paper describes the conditions that we can experience and offers ways to treat & avoid the skin problems associated with ostomies & in general other skin difficulties that we might experience.
Joe

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS