Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Proton Beam Fiducials

Does every Proton Radiation Center require placement of Fiducials ?

Re: Proton Beam Fiducials

I can't answer that question, but the impression I have gained is that ALL modern methods of External Beam Radiation use fiducials as aiming ponts to ensure a more accurate focus on the areas to be irradiated.

Terry in Australia

I can tell you that MD Anderson insists on fiducials (two of them) before starting proton-beam therapy treatment. They're invaluable for beam direction/guidance and also permit the doctor to use a smaller margin of dose around the prostate (4-5mm, rather than 6+).

Moreover, inquire into the type of fiducials your institution might be using. Some are inclined toward gold when I believe the standard is fast becoming carbon due to its more negligible dose perturbation effects.

Good luck!

I've also recently learned that there are different types of beams used at the Proton centers. I'm told that the "pencil" beam is the most accurate. I'd be curious to know which centers use which beams.

From: http://www.oncolink.org/treatment/article.cfm?id=438&s=70&c=9

Types of Beams
In order to achieve the prescribed dose to the prescribed area, different types of beams and tools are used to direct and shape the beam. Currently, three types of proton delivery systems are in use, passive scattering, uniform scanning, and pencil beam scanning.

I received External radiation Rapid Arc and my center requires all patients to have gold markers installed.
much better aiming no errors and less dosage required. simple install
with little no pain killers had a big infection with biopsy and did not want to repeat. pain went away rught away
Tom

Thank You for the responses. I have learned that Loma Linda Medical Center does not use fiducials.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS