THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Next Match - Away to Enfield Crusaders (10th March)

Really sorry I had to drop out today lads. I was aware that I might of had to drop out late last night but I tried to hold on as long as I could in a slight hope I could play but unfortunately I couldn't due to a serious family related issue. Unlucky with the result by the way.

To all those that turned up today well done the defensive strategy worked well. From what I saw the two touch passing was the best this season considering Terry being injured and Lol playing out of position. Everyone seem to listen today and it showed in the performance. So much so oraldo got subbed. Lets make sure the performance was not in vain. We need to listen and keep up the short passing in future.

I was quite pleased with how I played at right-back today considering I am 54 years old and even too old for Vets' football ! It was good to receive compliments from my team-mates and I thank everybody for that.
However, I really didn't enjoy playing and I hope some of our players who were missing today can get out of other commitments to play next week and for the rest of the season, as I would much rather be back behind the camera. I am not including Hagan in any criticism by the way, as having spoken to his Mum this morning, I know full well the situation his family are in at the moment. In fact, I am not 'annoyed' with anybody for dropping out late last night/this morning, although I might be if this happens every week from now on.

For those who are wondering, including this morning, I have now had to play in four Rovers 11-a-side matches during the last 8 years (since we folded up the Reserve Team) and we did not get heavily beaten in any of them !
The last game I played in was three years ago in the first match of a Double-Header against a Cheshunt Corinthians side that included Billy Wingrove, Michael Deane, Andy Porter (ex-Braintree) and numerous other top Semi-Pros. I played in a free role behind a lone striker and we only lost 2-1. I didn't play in the second match (because other players had turned up by then) and we lost 8-1 ! We also lost 7-1 to Cheshunt Corinthians in a Cup match that season...in which I did not play !
The previous game I played in before that was two years earlier when I played at right-back in a Pre-Season Friendly against Old Town Athletic. They were the top team in the Harlow Sunday League Premier Division at the time, but we beat them 4-3 !
...and the other time I have had to play was back in 2005 in another Pre-Season Friendly, this time against Ventega Sports, another top side from the Harlow Sunday League. I played right midfield and we drew 1-1 !

Some of our players were suggesting after today's match that I should play against Enfield Rangers next week because of the above stats (one win, one draw and two narrow one-goal defeats), but sorry. No way !

A massive "well done" to the 10 that played - sounds like we were unlucky not to get anything from the game, which is a great effort when you look at our lineup, and their league position.

See you all Wednesday / next Sunday.
Cheers
Barney