Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Simple Pleasures

As Oscar Wilde quoted, "Youth is wasted on the young". He was absolutely right. However, you don't realise this until you're older, much older, and when youth has definitely gone forever and is only a memory. Things I thought important years ago are of no significance now at all.

Now, I appreciate a warm, summer's morning; good health; feeling the sun on my face; birdsong in the garden; the scent of lavender and honeysuckle just wafting past as I hang out the washing. These are simple pleasures but uplifting just the same. I love to sit down with a good book and get lost in the story. Peace and quietness - something I now welcome rather than dread.

I like to sit outside and think about the past. Recall times when the whole family was together, when we were all at home. Times were different then. We had no pressures and we had our parents, plenty of aunts and uncles and cousins. Life felt safe and old was 30.

It's nice to reminisce now and again. That's when you look back and realise what was important and what was trivial. We're all the same. We all think "if only we could go back we would do things differently" but we can't. No use advising the young either, because they have their own mistakes to make and possibly regret.

I'm happy. It's a nice, warm morning. Rain may be on the way but I'm alive and feel well. I've walked the dogs and I'm grateful that I'm free from aches or pains.

Just thinking aloud this morning.

Re: Simple Pleasures

Ann
Whilst I agree with you; and pleased to hear of your contentment; I admire and recommend Dylan Thomas's 'Do not go gently into that good night'. He believed that old age should burn and rave against the dying of the light.

Dabbler, I love that poem. I watched a drama last week on Dylan Thomas' life. It was interesting and that particular poem was read out.

From what I can gather on reading autobiographies, quite a few of these writers, if not actual alcoholics, consumed immeasurable amounts of alcohol. Maybe it helped their thoughts and writing, how could anyone judge? Dylan Thomas was an alcoholic and died in his 30s as a result of this.

I have been reading up on Ernest Hemingway recently; some of his novels but also a fairly short, but interesting, autobiography by his remaining son and one of his grandsons. ( I get "biography" and "autobiography" mixed up, but you know what I mean). He said that he would never have considered having lunch without at least one bottle of wine (sometimes 3). He looked upon wine as part of the meal. This was in the 20s when wine was only fashionable with the well-to-do, but then he was living in Paris at that time.

Alcohol eventually affected his health too, physically and mentally. He consumed a lot, but nevertheless was disciplined when writing, unlike Scott Fitzgerald who was an alcoholic, and let drink destroy his great talent.

Listen to me, the spokeswoman on everything. Two years at the Tech and I think I'm well versed in all aspects of literature. Well, I did get an A level in Eng Lit some years ago, so I'm not completely ignorant.

However, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Or can be.

No good books left to read. Only one that my daughter left here at Christmas and I don't imagine it would be my kind of read. Tomorrow we attend a funeral. SO, on Saturday I will visit Waterstones and have a perusal through their vast range of books. Sometimes I come out with something entirely different to that which I had in mind.

I'll let you know.

Dabbler, forgive me for correcting you on a couple of things.

"Do not go GENTLE into that goodnight"

"Burn and rage", not burn and rave.

I haven't looked up Google so I may be wrong, but this is one of the poems I know and those are my memories of the words.

Dabbler, this is one of the reasons I'm so glad to have you back. You are one of the very few who I can discuss books and literature with. (says she, ending with a preposition).

After my disappointment in USA in Spring despite all the support my friends did to ease my sickness herself and I have decided to go to Lignano near Venice for a week on Whit Monday. It´s about 550 km from Munich and takes about 6 hours to get there. Will maybe take a day trip from Punta Sabbioni to Venice as I love the view approaching from the Lagoon. When I think of the prices for food and drink there I am always inclined to bring sandwiches and lemonade with me. Kilian is going with his dad tomorrow to Croatia for the Whit holidays, stopping off on the way down in Kärnten in Austria to visit his other grandparents who are holidaying there. Christopher and his Lady Bride are coming this evening for spare ribs and my special home made sauce "Don´s Tutto Speziale "! Max does not come as often now as in addition to studying he works at weekends for a party service to earn a few shillings. He travels daily to the University at Landshut which is a 2 hour train journey each way but refuses to leave Munich . He shares a flat with other young people which no doubt is a lot of fun. Oh to be young again. Someone once said that when we are young all our limbs are supple, only one is perpetually stiff, in old age the opposite is the case.
donald

Ann
I use google for everything these days, even simple pleasures; but yes, I know he used the adjective 'gentle' instead of the adverb, and I know that he advocates that we rage against death. Being Irish, I RAVE. :-)
A biography is written by someone about another person. I am currently reading one about Putin.
Donald, I watch erotic movies to revive my virility. I'll let you know if it works.

Dabbler
Ann
I use google for everything these days, even simple pleasures; but yes, I know he used the adjective 'gentle' instead of the adverb, and I know that he advocates that we rage against death. Being Irish, I RAVE. :-)
A biography is written by someone about another person. I am currently reading one about Putin.
Donald, I watch erotic movies to revive my virility. I'll let you know if it works.

Dabbler
You ( and I ) should be praying for a happy death instead of watching erotic movies to revitalise our manhood, or do you believe in miracles? We have more chance of winning the pools ( or flying )!
donald

Donald, you are having the time of your life with all these holidays. And why wouldn't you? Have a great time when you're away and think of us poor sods in rainy old NI.

Dabbler, I think that Putin would be too heavy for me. However, today is the day I visit Waterstones. Haven't a clue what books I'll be searching for, but they'll probably be in the autobiographies. Being a woman, that could change when I enter the store.

It's a rotten old day here. Wet and miserable looking outside. Inside the heating is on, the dogs are asleep in their beds, Dominic is reading the Irish News, oldest son has just left after joining us for breakfast - smoked bacon, black pudding, eggs and wheaten bread. ( I didn't have that of course.) The dogs need their walk, but I won't be going with them this morning. I still have to shower and dress, make out a shopping list and then go into town, probably Green's for my groceries. I'll then nip across to Waterstones for a couple of books. It's not very exciting, but it suits me now.

Contentment - the key to good health.

Barney, on our way home from the funeral yesterday, we came through Kilkeel. I haven't been in Kilkeel very often but it was on the scenic route home. I thought of you as we drove through the town.

Some lovely views on this different way home. Someone at the funeral recommended this direction for us. Although it proved to be longer, the scenery was beautiful. We came via Newcastle and with the Mourne Mountains beside us and the sea on our right, it was well worth the extra half hour. Plus, the day was sunny, although quite cool. Sometimes we forget how green and lush this country is and take it all for granted.

I'm nearly away on a rant again. I wonder what Pat and Joe are up to in far away Canada?

Ann
Wonder where Dabbler is, maybe watching exotic films or at Novena praying for a happy death!
Thinking back over 55 years to 1959 working in Hilden mill as a trucker for one shilling an hour, for 45 hours per week you earned before deductions 45 shillings, less NI and tea money for your morning tea you took home about 38 shillings! How did we exist? If you came late you were locked for that day and had a "broken pay" next week. Sir Milne Barbour when being chauffered up Mill Street each morning around 09.00h in his Rolls Royce no doubt gave this very serious thought how to better our lot.
donald

Ann
Donald, you are having the time of your life with all these holidays. And why wouldn't you? Have a great time when you're away and think of us poor sods in rainy old NI.

Ann
Herself and I are not tied to dates and can choose the cheapest times to holiday. To be honest I must coax myself to leave Munich as living here is for me the most enjoyable place on earth.The highlight of ALL my trips is the return flight to Munich, Family, friends and our Appartment here where we have lived for over 44 years. Despite living in Munich the area where we live can be classified as a village and we , thanks to our kids we have been accepted here and have become locals.
donald

Donald, watching TV the other night, the programme showed a town in Germany. I cannot remember the name now. Wherever it was,, it looked very historic, with beautiful buildings and lots of people walking about in the sunshine. I thought of you and imagined how you would be very contented with your lot.

Donald, Dabbler's OK. I don't think he'll be doing any of the things you suggest. The spirit may be willing but the flesh is knackered regarding the erotic films anyhow. He'd be flogging a dead horse is my guess.

I didn't get to Waterstones yesterday. Long story but at least I got a quick run into Greens.

Today is Cemetery Sunday and we were up at the cemetery this morning leaving flowers at the 3 graves of our families. The ceremony is this afternoon at 3 pm and the forecast is RAIN and more RAIN. Nevertheless, the cemetery will be packed.

'Tread softly lest you tread on my dreams'.

Ann and Donald
Speaking of flogging a dead horse, I wasted a few quid yesterday on an outsider to beat the hot favourite in the Derby.
Donald, there's no such thing as a happy death, so I'm putting it off for as long as possible. This morning, my 78th birthday, I rose before eight, did twenty press-ups, and ate a bowl of muesli; and I'm typing this in bed.

Good for you dabbler, Happy birthday
donald

Dabbler, belated Happy Birthday. Keep doing the press-ups. Do a couple for me while you're at it.

Still haven't got to Waterstone's but hopefully tomorrow.

Happy belated birthday Dabbler, that makes you 7 months older than me. All those years ago who would have thought 60 years later we would be in touch through this Forum, 3500 miles apart.
I will make this short, Doreen is very sick with Gallstones, her Gall Bladder has to come out. Stephen is still in Intensive care, he is improving slightly.......and I have the Shingles...what a family.
Best wishes to all.

Beano

Beano
Sorry to hear of poor family health. I know what you''re suffering; as I wrote, my wife had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and all that entailed a few years ago, and fortunately recovered to give me my orders.
I still have few symptoms of senility, though I am much less agile than I was ten years ago. I still WANT to do things, but...
I have two sons living near me, one next door, both in good health, relatively speaking.
My interest in Ireland, reawakened by this site, continues apace.
Learning via the WWW that my unknown nephew had married a top triathlete heightened my interest, and gave me a new lease of life. I try to follow her progress. I note that she has been selected to represent Northern Ireland in the Commonwealth Games next month.
I hope your shingles - often caused by stress - soon clears up, and you have my deepest sympathy with regards to your family.
Joe REID

Dabbler,

My four paragraph post has just been rejected....contained "SPAM".
Joe many thanks for you kind words for my family, it is, as always very much appreciated.

Billy (Beano)

Beano, sorry to hear about Doreen's trouble with her gall bladder. The shingles is painful - I had them several times on my face. Troubles seem to come together, not singly. That's the way.

Beano, I'm in a rush this morning so that's all I have time to say, but hope everything turns out well. Dominic had his gall bladder removed some years ago and has never looked back.

Best wishes to yourself and all the family.

Like Donald, I've spent most of my life in a smashing town that I've grown to love.We've moved round this area a bit, and the 'kids' have moved around too, so, although we exchange pleasantries with the neighbours, I have never known any of them as closely as the ones I grew up with.i suppose that explains why I keep looking in here.

Dabbler, the old-fashioned way of neighbours standing at the doors talking to each other is only a memory now. Living in the Low Road, almost everyone knew everyone else. If they didn't, they knew someone who did. That's the way it was. That time has gone.

We've lived in this bungalow for 25 years now. We know the neighbours each side and across the road and are on speaking terms with them. I mean, we would have a conversation now and again. We would recognise most, but not all, neighbours further down but wouldn't have a clue as to their names. All the neighbours are good; it's a quiet area and we're very happy here. However, nowhere will ever be quite like the Low Road. I wouldn't want to live there now - its's a dump - but "the way we were" was nice.

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end

Ann and Dabbler,

I agree with both of you,we have lived in this house for 40 years and only know our next door neighbours. We live in a tree lined avenue, it is very quiet and we love it here, BUT and it is a big BUT, it will never match what I feel for the Co.Down. Over the years I often thought of the people in our street and what friendship meant to them. You felt like you were part of every family, and I am thankful for the memories of everyone of them.

Beano

Arrived back this afternoon from our short trip to Italy. On Wednesday we took a 2 hour boat trip from Lignano to Grado, that is in the opposite direction to Venice. Despite only having 2 hours time to look around we enjoyed our stay, it was built around the same time and was once a more important city than Venice and although there are no canals it was a treat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grado,_Friuli-Venezia_Giulia

The weather was brilliant, around 36 Centigrade and today we had an uneventful drive home, stopping only for petrol, a meal and to allow herself to appease the nicotine pangs. The apartment we rented was quite modern but we were both certain if we returned there we would next time book into a multi storey block where we stayed before as they offer a swimming pool, reserved parking and free deck chairs and sun shade on the beach. We only ate breakfast there as we love the crusty rolls and the giant sliced Mortadella and cooked ham freshly cut each morning together with the freshly brewed filter coffee which we brought with us, going out each evening to a restaurant.
donald

This morning I sawed and broke up some old wood and took it to the local tip. Somebody told me off for parking badly -in the rubbish area. I vacuumed the car when I got home.
Happy Fathers Day!

Donald, glad you had a good holiday. Talking about the crusty bread and cheese is making me feel hungry. I'm a bit addicted to crusty bread - truly.! When I start eating a crusty load, I find it very difficult to stop.

Nice weather here this past couple of days. Probably our summer.

Dabbler, I know you appreciate me talking about street names in Lisburn. SO, here's a couple for you.

Noticed "Bon Accord Terrace" the other day. Know the place very well but was unaware that's what it was called.

"Smithfield Street". Another place very familiar to me but I always thought it was called Smithfield Square.

Having lived around that area, Dabbler, I bet you know where these two addresses are.

If you don't, I'll tell you next time.

Ann, maybe the builder and the land owner decided on the name. Good agreement. Aidan.

Ann; I certainly knew Smithfield, Sweeney's , the McCaughertys, Keegans, Stevensons, and Gillians, but never saw or heard of that French sounding place.

1 2