Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
forties and fifties people

Donald, and Beano, You two have throughout the years written about people I knew. Patsy Bradley, Donald - As I wrote in the early days of the forum, is one of my earliest memories. Or rather, the death of Patsy. I can never forget the boys telling each other about him asking someone to open the windows because he couldn't breathe, when all windows were wide open. Consumption, they said.
Tommy Lewis - a very complex character, who was just as likely to joke with you as punch you in the face,
Beano/Billy - The workers in the Twist and Reeling rooms, especially the girls, Sally Dornan and her sister Eileen, spoke very highly of you.
I have just remembered, at this second, that Sally knew and liked my brother Robert, who must have worked there before I did.
Sorry folks, for hogging the page with my doleful reminiscing.

I bought fish and chips today at my favourite shop. Pensioner portions, cheaper. I intended to order in German, but forgot the word 'rentner'.

Re: forties and fifties people

Hi Dabbler,

Sally and Eileen were both nice girls, Eileen left the "Island" to go to Stewarts Mill, Sally was still there when I left. All the "girls" in the mill where easy to get along with, I learned a lot from all of them.
I ran two fairly large companies out here and would gladly have exchanged any of my staff for mill people anytime, salt of the earth, all of them.

Beano

Thanks Beano. You did well, running companies. I couldn't run a raffle

Beano
Hi Dabbler,

Sally and Eileen were both nice girls, Eileen left the "Island" to go to Stewarts Mill, Sally was still there when I left. All the "girls" in the mill where easy to get along with, I learned a lot from all of them.
I ran two fairly large companies out here and would gladly have exchanged any of my staff for mill people anytime, salt of the earth, all of them.

Beano

beano
the only running I did was "up the town for a message"

One of my uncle Bobby´s ( Mateer ) favourite jokes was!
A lady from the Co. Down said to her neighbour," Mrs, I was up the town just now and I saw your husband going into a chemist´s shop", the neighbour answered, "that aul ejit, I told him to bring me back a fresh lettuce"!
Only a Lisburnian would understand that
donald

I didn't want to start another page just to say, mainly to Barney, that I think the ref was too hasty stopping tonight's fight. Groves was well ahead on points, and, though shaken, might have recovered.

Dabbler
I didn't want to start another page just to say, mainly to Barney, that I think the ref was too hasty stopping tonight's fight. Groves was well ahead on points, and, though shaken, might have recovered.

yes Dabbler Groves had it won hands down,he got into trouble,tried to fight his way out of it ,when he should have taken a count on his knee,or held onto Froch would have given him that bit of time he needed to recover, as he was well ahead,loseing that round would have made no difference to Groves

Barney
That is exactly what I believe.