Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the phillipines

I am sure we have all been watching the various reports from this devastated country,that has been practically wiped out by the typhoon.
Arnt we lucky to be living in a country that has none of these extremes of the forces of nature and weather conditions, these poor people have lost everything they have or owned,and the various charities are being overwhelmed trying to help out.
Circular buildings i think might be an answer i think to these typhoon storms,as they would not get the same impact force that square or oblong building get,and i noticed the one very large building still standing in phillipines was a very large community centre where people were sheltering in, was a very large circular dome roofed building.
I had mentioned this to a number of american friends living in the areas where twisters are very common and they seemed to think it was a reasonable piece of logic

Re: the phillipines

Barney, I know nothing about building work but you could be right in what you say.

Yes, the typhoon in the Phillipines was horrendous; all those people, not only losing their homes, but the survivors having little or no food. You can't blame people for looting in a situation like this. Loot or die. I hope help comes very soon. Saw a couple of young mums who had just given birth, with their new babies. God help them.

I always say we should be very thankful living in a country where we don't get extreme weather. It must be terrible to live in countries where there are hurricanes, typhoons, tsunamis, etc. etc. although I suppose if you're born there you just accept it. Doesn't make it any easier, though.

Let's hope food and medical supplies arrive soon.

Looking at the TV images, I think the proper word is scavenging, not looting. Had to loot a store that is no longer standing. When it gets down to it, taking something to help survive is a basic human need.

How could necessities, taken from a ruined building, be called looting.? How could soldiers shoot people who are only saving their families from starvation.?

Memories of the Irish Famine stories come to mind, bringing sympathy & help from all of Ireland to these poor people. Such beautiful children & young people. The old folk are devastated, the sorrow is in their faces.

Our prayers are with them. Pat

Barney,

In reply to your suggestion of rounded buildings, such as a lighthouse design, I agree with you.

I am finishing a story called "The Lightkeeper" A Memoir, by Gerald Butler, one of Ireland's last lighthouse keepers & he says that is the reason for rounded walls, as the winds go around them in times of violent storms.

Could recommend the book, very interesting read. Pat

Incidentaly, I would always have liked to live in a lighthouse, suppose because it seems safe & with a great view.

After reading the above mentioned book the lighthouse now would have to be on dry land with the sea beyond at a good distance.

Still would fancy living there, away from the "madding crowd". Safe from Force 10 or 11 gales...or worse.

Pat

P.S. I suppose I have the next best thing, in the back of beyond, as Ann says of here. [Pat

Having been through two typhoons in the Far East I know exactly what they are going through. My first experience was with Typhoon Ruth in 1951 we had just anchored in Sasebo harbour in Japan after returning from operations off the North Korean coast when we were ordered out to sea as Sasebo harbour was so crowded with ships mostly American that there was a real danger of ships colliding or being blown aground. We sailed in the evening so half of our ships company was still ashore (lucky devils). I have a picture of our ship in the middle of the typhoon, we lost a couple of aircraft and a small tractor overboard also a ships launch was torn from its moorings.
The second one was even worse as we ran right into the centre of it sailing from Hong Kong to Korea on a small 1200 ton frigate, at times we thought she was going to turn right over,some of the younger guys were screaming as they held on to whatever for dear life, luckly we made it through it OK it was another three weeks before we got ashore in Japan but "Boy" did we celebrate. Mauri

Barney,

The circular buildings would be the logical thing, though personally I would never have thought of it. Our Irish Club have raised some funds for the relief effort and I am pleased to say we have two of our younger members who have gone to help, they are both experienced Para-Medics. God bless them both.

Beano