Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rememberance Day

Well today I attended the Rememberance Day parade and service in downtown Barrie at the the local cenotaph. There was an excellant turn out and I laid a wreath in memory of my uncle Frank killed during the second world war. Am looking forward to seeing the Lisburn parade to the War memorial at Castle Gardens on the internet. I have never been able to make it to Lisburn for this parade and service much as I would like too, maybe next year.???. Mauri

Re: rememberance Day

Mauri, Remembrance Day is always tinged with sadness and gratitude. This morning, as always, I stood in the house for the 2 minutes' silence at 11.00 0'clock. I said a silent prayer for all those war dead to whom we owe so much.

Thankfully, my father survived the 2nd World War but he never liked to talk to us about it - only to my young son when he was very young.

God bless them all.

Ann, If only more people thought like you re Rememberance Day, it neveer fails to amaze the the number of people who ignore this special day and those who sacrificed their lives so that these ignorant jerks can enjoy the life they lead to day. You have a right to be proud of your Dad. Mauri

As usual, along with my wife. I watched the ceremonies on Television. We do not speak, each lost in thoughts of respect. Personally, I recall once again the lopsided grin of the young Brian Hamilton as he stood proudly in his uniform in my Aunt Lizzie's humble house in 'Buggy Row'. Brian's grin was never seen again, as a torpedo found his ship far out at sea.
Bless 'em all
The long and the short and the tall.

I managed, a few years ago, to make a journey to Ypres, and felt a tingle run down my spine as I simply glanced at all those names on the Menin wall. I thought of the horror of trench war, brought home to me in Sebastian Faulke's novel 'Birdsong'.I thought too, of my wife's uncle Albert, a handy young boxer, whu returned from that great war minus one arm.
Lest they forget!

Dear All

I agree with all the sentiments expressed above. Last year I visited Ridgewood Military Cemetery near Ypres where my grand uncle Joe is buried. His name was added only recently to the war memorial in Lisburn. He served with the Royal Irish Rifles and was tasked with several of his friends to build the cemetery for the inevitable casualties of the battle. The detail took a direct hit from a German shell and he was killed on the 2 May 1915. Ironically he was buried in the first grave to be opened in the new cemetery number 1.A.1.

It is a beautiful spot over looking fertile rolling countryside. It is hard to imagine the horror these men of all persuasions, and none, experienced. I am sure many contributors to this forum will have been personally touched by the sacrifices made on our behalf. May they all rest in peace.

Shalom

Who could fail to be moved by the sight of that little girl leaving her singing group to rush and embrace her soldier daddy, home on surprise leave?