Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seaide Memories

England is my adopted home and I have grown to like, respect and love the English people. In particular I enjoy their love hate relationship with sea side towns. Most bank holidays the roads are choked with the slow dash to the nearest patch of "beach" and brown salty water. One of my favourites is Herne Bay on that spit of land that juts out into the north sea south of London. Further along the coast are Ramsgate, Margate, Dover and Folkstone aging Belles desperately clinging to former glory. Herne Bay is different it is a belligerent dementing pensioner standing with clenched jaw and fists struggling desperately to make sense of the modern world. Not sure in which direction to wander off. Anchored solely by the illusion of control given by the thousands of warning signs scattered along the sea front: no parking, no skate boarding, no roller blading, no dogs, no littering, no smoking, no cycling and no climbing to name but a few. My wife said the council could have saved money by erecting one sign outside the town "Why don't you all just F**k Off."

Yet still they come the to wolf down ice cream and soggy chips while strolling to look at the battered pier that sits like a boxer slumped on a rusting stool waiting for someone to throw in the towel. No towel ever flutters to the canvas so each new season the bell rings and the boxer ambles wearily to the centre of the ring.

Herne Bay I love going toe to toe with you: a truly authentic English sea side holiday memory.

Re: Seaide Memories

Hildenboy, The only english sea side towns that I remember are Plymouth, and Southsea. Plymouth Hoe was a favourite spot for sprawling on the grass ogling the girls. While Southsea front was very popular, but then what about Portrush, Bangor, Newcastle,Groomsport, have they gone the same way??? Mauri

I am not a fan of the seaside, I prefer countryside or lakes & hills. Maybe it is the memory of sand in the sandwiches & everywhere else, icy cold waves drenching your clothes, sharp stones on bare feet.

Whatever, I never relished seasides, I loved Tollymore Forest, Bellvue, Glens Of Antrim, White Mountain, Mc Colin's Hill, the Glens. etc. Dry, warm, sheltered & green grass underfoot, butterflies & birds, flowers & shrubs & covered picnic areas. Even if it rains, you're warm & dry.

"Full of your ease & comfort" as the Granny used to
say - that's me

Pat

Hildenboy, I love how you have personified Herne Bay. Great bit of writing AGAIN and very enjoyable.

Although we are not very far from the seaside here in Lisburn, we don't visit much now. When the children were young, we would take them to the beach on a good Sunday, sandwiches packed and flasks filled with tea. A big square rug was spread out on the sand and there we sat while the children paddled in the sea or made sandcastles. Other families did the same and I remember the beaches being packed.

One time we holidayed in Northumberland, close to a place called Seahouses. We visited Bamburgh Castle and also Holy Island (when the tide was out). We also visited Berwick-on-Tweed which is on the border with Scotland. Driving across from the ferry we followed Hadrian's Wall for a long time. I enjoyed that holiday, out in the English countryside. We rented a country house and my daughter and boyfriend (at the time) stayed with us. They, in fact, suggested Northumberland as Peter's family came from that part of the world. It was a lovely holiday and I must say England has some beautiful and quaint little villages.

Must do it again some time.

Mauri, don't know much about Groomsport but I visited Portrush earlier this year, just for the day. The seaside town has greatly improved, a large marina has been built, and it is a pleasure to walk along the pier. In fact, I think there are two piers now.

Newcastle has improved too, although I haven't been there this year. It's still extremely popular and there are plenty of shops and amusements.

Bangor, unfortunately, has not much going for it. The Bangor of years ago no longer exists. Bangor would have been quite upmarket when I was young. It now seems to attract the more unruly element, but, again, I haven't been there this year.

Rostrevor is my favourite spot. I know it's not a seaside town but it is a beautiful part of the country. There's something peaceful and agreeable about Rostrevor. We have friends who live there and we used to spend a weekend with them when we were all dancing. Not so much now, but my love for the place remains.

That's a nice piece, Hildenboy. I live close to the seaside in England, in an area designated as a natural beauty spot. I love my home here.
I am a little surprised to see Ann write that Lisburn is near the sea. I do not remember that, but admit that Shanks's mare was my mode of travel. For those interested, Clovelly is a lovely town in the Southwest. Of many places I visited with my children, that one stands out in my memory.

Dabbler, I bet you don't remember Dr.Johnson's house in Castle St or was it in Seymour St, it was called "Clovelly" because the Johnsons used to vacaction there every year. Mauri

No Mauri, I cannot remember that, but it is interesting to me. Of course, even if I had seen the name, it would have meant nothing to me as a child.
My memories of childhood are simple. To me, and perhaps to those I have named, they are nostalgic. Which does not necessarily mean happy. The seaside does not figure largely, because I didn't go half a dozen times in eighteen years - to ANY seaside.
The Castle Gardens looms large because I spent countless hours there. I remember going there in my first pair of long trousers - jeans that a neighbour's son had grown out of, and further cut down to fit me. I very clearly recall - I was about fourteen - sneaking unseen to a bench where several boys sat, and standing very shyly behind it, till somebody noticed me and my 'new longs', at which point they all cheered. Yeah, I know it is cringeworthy, but I never claimed to be a big tough kid, I can smile about it now.

Dabbler, in the grand scheme of things, and compared to other countries, we are never very far from the sea. I suppose Newcastle is about 30 miles away but that's no distance nowadays.

Ann, until I was eighteen, Belfast seemed a long way - I walked there once or twice.

Dabbler, Belfast was within walking distance, as you say.

I remember hearing about someone who walked every day to work from Lisnatrunk to Barney Hughes Bakery Belfast daily and home again. Hard to imagine today.
donald

Donald
Was Hilden Halt on the train route from Lisburn to Belfast? Or am I on the wrong train?

Dabbler
Correct, Hilden Halt was the first train stop after Lisburn, then came Lambeg, Derryaghy, Dunnmurray, Finaghy, Balmoral, Adelaide then "the big smoke" Great Victoria St. station.
Last time I was in the Hilden Brewery this year they had a new ale for sale called Hilden Halt.
donald

My granda Warnock had to walk from Belfast to Hilden Mill barefoot when he was a child. But he was hard as nails, that might be one of the reasons! He and his brother Jimmy were famous boxers in the 1930's - Jimmy beat Benny Lynch twice when Benny was world champion but never got a title fight.

I remember my mother telling me that either her mother or grandmother walked from Lisburn to Ballynahinch to borrow money from their mother. She needed to buy food for her husband's packed lunch and walked the whole way to borrow it.

Just imagine being in such dire straits. People really had it hard in those days. If you had no money, that was it. No credit or debit cards or cheque books. It's unthinkable nowadays.

Ann
"tick" from the grocers or butchers was the only alternative and when your limit was reached there the only possibility was relations. Hard times.
donald

P.S. to Ann's input.

After walking to Ballynahinch from Lisburn she then walked to Lambeg with the lunch for great-grandad, who was working on coal-boats there.

Another sad story of the thinking of the times & banishment from families when a mixed marriage occured. Both parties from farming backgrounds with plenty, to exile in Lisburn & a labourers job.

P

Darryl
Jimmy Warnock was one of the greats of Irish boxing. My da told me so. some seventy years ago.