Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
This afternoon

Beautiful, sunny autumn day here. After we dropped off the goodies at Leo's, we decided to take the dogs down the line. Leonard's house is overlooking the Lagan so it was handy for us.

We set off across Huguenot Drive, walked on the very hill where I cut my hand all those years ago, and passed the flats at the bottom of Grove Street. We then turned down onto the towpath and walked towards Lisburn town centre. We saw pigeons, squirrels and swans on our way. Hardly any cyclists on this part of the line which is great. Met a fellow Low Roader and had a bit of a yarn with him. We then returned via the weir over the footbridge at the bottom of Grove Street. It was very pleasant and the old mill is still standing as it always was. Memories of other days.

Re: This afternoon

Ann
are the 41s still there? Is it still possible to walk along the path at the bottom small and head towards the back gate? I still have recollections of my mum taking me on the crossbar our dad`s bike up towards Johnny Finches home garden.There was another small bridge there, I remember a small row of houses where the flats now stand. McCaugherty was one of the families who lived there. That must be over 65 years ago as she died in 1949. I already mentioned it here but I have a faint recollection of the 41s continuing along the wall to the small houses in Grand St. where Brigid Watters and the Stewart family lived then.
donald

Donald, the 41s are no longer there. The path that ran along to the back gate and also the one to Grove Street is all overgrown and inaccessible. Yesterday I stood at the bottom of the steps leading up to Grove Steet. I remembered years ago (1966) Pat and I walking along that towpath with our baby daughters in their high prams. I would love to have been able to walk along that towpath again towards the bridge leading to the 41s. Isn't it an awful pity that the Council doesn't clear up the line and make the towpaths once more accessible to people.

Money is wasted on absolute rubbish sometimes, but clearing up the line would be an asset.

Talk about inspiration,you all have brought out this:

Tributary

My roots are in the Lagan, deep in the singing streams
Waving in the quiet pools, I see it in my dreams

Hear laughing children playing, see grassy banks of green
Swaying trees that shelted us, from troubles yet unseen.

There's fishing nets & jamjars, tied with Barbour string
Darting spricks & jumping frogs, legs with nettlestings

Overfalls & tumbling waters, goats that fed nearby
Swans gliding past in royal ease, ducks in battlecry.

Rootless now, I gaze upon the Shannon broad & deep
But in my mind & in my heart, my Lagan dreams I'll keep

Pat
nice one
donald

Hi Pat,

I like that.....

Beano

ann,
sorry to hear about that path along the line from grove street no longer accessable?. i used it very often, across the little grove street bridge[ from spruce street] and was a lovely walk, have many happy memories of that. planning a visit next year and that was one place high on the list, so, a big pity. tom

pat,
just read your poem,,it's lovely.

Pat

Very evocative poem. I enjoyed reading it.

Ann

When I was over on my flying visit I stood where the cottages at Lisnatrunk used to be. If I recall correctly there used to be a bridge near the lock that led to the back gate of the Mill and onwards to the 41s; but I could not see it because of the jungle that now bars the way. You are correct that a trick is being missed by leaving the canal so neglected.

Hildenboy
there were 2 bridges there, one over the Lagan Canal with a foot passage underneath it for the hauler to bring the tow rope through. Then another over the River Lagan with signs at both ends stating it had been made in England in the Nineteenth Century ( 18?? ). Between them was the lock keepers hut, when I was a child John McPolin was the lock keeper , a grandson of the first keeper named Scott(hence the name Scott´s locks).He kept hens and a goat.
I was born there in 1944 in the first house at Lockview, Lisnatrunk. There were 5 houses in that row, 3 were occupied by Watters , one by McPolin ( the lock keeper ) and the last one by Mr and Mrs Braitwaithe, both of whom worked in the mill(where else?). Heading towards Lisburn about 100 yards past the locks was another row of houses ( Lagan Terrace?) with small front gardens and a well behind for the inhabitants to draw water from. In it was always a trout which apparently kept the water clean! We had to go to the pump beside the row of houses up the lane at Lockview ( Down Villas ). What posh names for such hovels, no water, electricity or flush toilets. 50 yards past Lagan Terrace was McConnell hill where 2 thatched cottages once stood, occupied by the Rickard and McGuinness families which caught fire one night in the 50s and the flames could be seen all over the Low Road, Ann and Pat may know more.
donald

Donald, you can have a look at your old home on you tube. Search for Low Road Lisburn 1960[ish]wmv. Its not good quality, but neither are memories. Aidan.

Re: This afternoon Thanks

Thanks for the memories No houses 53 years ago
Its a beautiful Day here in Ottawa Canada

Hallo Raymond
welcome to the forum. Are you also from around there? I remember a family called Gilliand who were farmers there . I used to take my grandfather to them to pick up duck eggs in the 60s. Which houses do you mean were not there 53 years ago? My great uncle Ned lived in Lockview until around 1967 then moved into a care home in Hillsborough. Shortly after that they were demolished. If Brendan looks in he could tell us more.
Here in Munich the weather is starting to get cold, my wife and I drove towards Garmish today on the Autobahn and we saw the Alps were sprinkled with snow. I had put our Relaxers away for the winter but last week the weather was so nice I pulled them out again. Yesterday I started to rake the fallen leaves, that's a sure sign winter is on its way.We have to dispose of them at our local refuge tip as bonfires are forbidden. The Biergartens were still open last week.
donald

Pat, that is a lovely poem. Home is where the heart is right enough.

Donald, I also remember the houses you mention. They probably were short on modern conveniences, but were in a beautiful location. I especially liked the row of houses with the front gardens, just facing the canal. They always looked so prim and proper.

An aunt and uncle of ours lived in one of the houses on McConnell's Hill, a bit before my time, but they raised a fairly big family there before moving to England. Pat would know more.

I often wonder about GPs being called out, especially in the middle of the night, to visit a patient over the line. I'm sure they couldn't have driven up the towpath from Hilden. Did they go down the 41s and walk all the way to those houses? Do you remember, Donald?

Ann
I remember Dr Emerson coming to visit my mother who was suffering from cancer of the womb, he drove up from Hilden in a small black car.That must have been around 1949. Dr McCandles???, who delivered all my paternal aunts and uncles into this world probably came from Hillhall to Lockview on a bike as did the midwife Nurse Cook. My grandfather , when the time came had to walk ( or run )to Hillhall to inform the doctor that his services were required. I remember Nurse Cook living in the house beside the EMB, she moved to Bridge St Hilden facing the school and the house was then occupied by Tom Conway who was a senior supervisor in the mill. Later Nurse Cook drove also a small car which I believe was donated to her by the Lisburn residents.
donald

Donald, tragic that your mother died so young, not only for herself, but for you and your baby brother. You were lucky and blessed in that you had maiden aunts, as well as grandparents, to care for you, as they did.

Donald, I also remember wee Nurse Cook, as she was called. She attended my mother at childbirth, as well as most of the Low Road and Hilden. I remember her in her navy blue coat and beret, riding a bicycle. I, too, recall her living in the big house facing the park. Very handy when any younger had an accident just to run over to the nurse's house for assistance.

I didn't know she moved to Hilden. However, I do remember Mr Conway, who I think was manager of the Engineering Dept. He was a nice man, Scottish I think. Did one of his sons attend Hilden School?

Ann
I think Mr Conway came to Hilden mill from another mill somewhere in NI.I´m almost certain he was Jack Turner´s successor in the Engineering Dept. He had a son who went to Hilden school, whom I think was later a member of the school board.He would be about 10 years younger than me.I remember him sometimes as a child accompanying my grandfather who was the park ranger in Hilden park putting up the swings etc.
donald

Hi all,

My thanks to everyone, who enjoyed reading my little rhyme, which wrote itself really, after I read the input about the "line".

Nice to think I can give something back to the Forum friends. I believe the only reason to write is to give enjoyment to even one person. Thanks again.

Pat

Raymond you seem pretty sure about the absence of housing precisely 53 years ago. What were up up to then?

Donald

Browsing through some old papers this afternoon I came across my National Identity Card: on the 9 May 1950 I am recorded as living at 5 Lock View, lisnatrunk. Can you recall which house that was? On 24 April 1951 I am recorded as living at 95 Bridge Street Hilden.

I can recall Hilden ok opposite the big wall before moving again to Mill Street; but I have no memory of my time at Lock View although my parents often referred to it with the dry toilets and rats...

Hildenboy, imagine coming across your National Identity Card. I haven't a clue where mine is or if it even exists any more.

It's great to find out things about your past, especially those you were unaware of, like you living at Lisnatrunk. You must have been very young at the time.

It's a pity all the houses in Hilden were knocked down. You would have thought they could have been restored or renovated, brought up to date, rather than demolished. I'm absolutely sure a lot of the residents, especially the older ones, would have preferred living out their day in the family home instead of been moved into the Low Road and elsewhere.

Hilden village no longer exists, which is a pity. Even though the mill has closed, it would have been nice to have kept the houses. I always feel sad every time I pass Hilden School. I miss the children's voices in the playground. Nothing makes one feel more cheerful than listening to children at play.

As you can see, I'm in a reminiscing mood today. I have been listening to the radio and a Christmas song came over the air. Made me think of long ago.

Hildenboy
Donald

Browsing through some old papers this afternoon I came across my National Identity Card: on the 9 May 1950 I am recorded as living at 5 Lock View, lisnatrunk. Can you recall which house that was? On 24 April 1951 I am recorded as living at 95 Bridge Street Hilden.

I can recall Hilden ok opposite the big wall before moving again to Mill Street; but I have no memory of my time at Lock View although my parents often referred to it with the dry toilets and rats...

Hildenboy

I was also born in Lock View Lisnatrunk on 1 June 1944,to 99% also in No5. After my mother died in August 1949 we moved to live with my Gran in 169 Mill St Hilden. I can tell you exactly who lived in 4 of those 5 houses in 1950 starting from the right side Alex Braithwaite, (end house) Eddie Watters, Scott /John McPolin, Billy Abernathy. We lived in the left end house, so it is only possible that your family moved there after we vacated it. I checked the Census and the house numbers did not go from left to right but right to left. Watters were registered as house 17,Scott / McPolin in house 16. so the left end house was No 5 and not No1 as was normal for postal addresses.
If Raymond Gilliland is looking in, a farming family with that name lived in house No 4 1911 in Lisnatrunk, Drumbeg Down according to the Cenus
donald

Donald

Isn't that an extraordinary coincidence. You having been born at the same address!

Clearly you were blessed with a forensic memory and brains; while I was cursed with good looks and sex appeal