Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lest we forget

They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the Sun,
and in the morning,
We will remember them
We Will Remember Them

I will always remember that piece from all the times I played the Last Post as a bugler in the CLB.We played at the Cenotaph and at various churches on Nov.11th.,usually a member of the British Legion would recite those words. I for one will never forget.

Beano

Re: Lest we forget

Hi Beano, Yes it is recited all over the British Commonwealth. I too was a bugler in the CLB,although not a very good one more or less a trainee, the funny thing was I could play the drums but was nevre allowed to. when I went into the Navy at not quite 16,we formed a drum and bugle band at the training school and I became the lead drummer, we were the first boys to be trained after the war. At the training school for a year then off to sea for another year's training. Maurice

Hi all. In wasn't in a very appropriate place this morning when the clock rang 11 am.

I was drying myself after my shower but I stood with the towel round me for a minute in silence remembering my father and, indeed, all the dead who gave their lives.

Lest we forget.

Hi All .
I was thinking of you Ann & Katie , this morning at about 10.30am , when the crowds were gathering at the Cenotaph , i thought you might have been there . It was a lovely service , And also very sad . There is a new memorial to UDR/ RIR Situated beside the Cenotaph . Jim had asked me if i was in Lisburn , would i take some photos of the service .And hopefully he will put them on the Exiles . The Band and all in the parade were a credit to all the organisations . And i am sure as everywhere their thoughts came back to their fallen comrades of days gone by ..

I have been told that the old Town Hall on the Tec side is to be demolished , and also the old CO OP BUILDING to make way for the new Technical College .
I hope the Old Tec is going to stay , as i think it is a listed building . But other listed buildings have been removed .
All the best to all .
Tommy .

Yes, Thomas, Katie and I should have been at the Cenotaph this morning, as well as an awful lot of other people.

I always think it sad and unfair that our 'people' aren't present at this time to honour our dead. I don't know why this is.

I supppose it's what they always refer to as "tradition" over here. This is a tradition which I would love to see changed. All religions fought in the two wars and I would love to think that some time in the future, we will be present with our clergy at the Service of Remembrance.

At church this morning ALL the dead were prayed for.

Re: Re: Lest we forget

Hi all;
This morning I attended the Rememberance service at the cenatoph in Sumerside. It was a miserable day,temperature 3C, steady rain driven by winds gusting to 50kph., yet the few remaining veterans marched and the people came. The service from fall in to the march past lasted almost one hour yet no one, man,women nor child left despite the weather.

As I stood there soaked and cold I thought of the conditions that the troops fought under during the various wars and the hardships they endured, then I realized that unlike them I was returning to my family, a warm home and dry clothes.

I believe that most of the people had similar thoughts as me. The hour of misery we spent at the cenatoph today was a small reminder to us all of the supreme sacrifice made by others so that we could enjoy freedom.

As is customary the names of the fallen soldiers from our town is read and the last name read today was of WO Frank Mellish, KIA Afghanistan, 2006. A grim reminder of war.

Jimmy

Re: Re: Re: Lest we forget

Hi Everyone, Like Jimmy I too attended and marched in the Rmemberance Day ceremony in our home town. Unlike where Jimmy is we had a beautiful dry day although a little nippy, but we had a good turn out and everything went smoothly. Jimmy I see you joined the RCAF in 1957, at that time I was in the United States Air Force stationed at McDill Air Force Base in Florida, we used to get a lot of Canadians passing through did you ever make it there? Maurice

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lest we forget

Maurice

In July of 1957 I was beginning my basic training at St. Jean's Quebec. After finishing I went to Camp Borden for my trades training and on completion of that I was posted in 1958 to Comox on Vancouver Island. I was fortunate to go to 407 Sqn. which was an anti submarine outfit. While there I worked as an aero engine tech on Lancaster and Neptune aircraft. In 1960 I decided to try civilian life once again and bumed around Ontario for a few months before going to work for Canadair in PQ. I enjoyed the work there but the hours were long. We usually worked 12 to 14 hour shifts, 7 days a week. One month days then rotated to one month nights, no life for a young guy so after a few months I quit and re-joined the RCAF.

My first posting after after re-enlisting was to Summerside PE.where I once again was involved with another anti submarine Sqn. this time working as an airframe tech. on Neptune and Argus aircraft. Other than a two year stint in Germany working on CF104 fighter a/c 1968/1970, I completed my 28 year career pretty well with Maritime Command.

Although the Argus a/c travelled extensively throughout the Northern Hemisphere I only made one trip into the USA and that was to Pauxtunt River for a few days. However,we made frequent trips to N Ireland,England,Scotland,Bermuda,Azores,Gibralter,Denmark, Iceland and of course to all provinces and the Arctic of Canada. These detachments lasted anywhere fron a few days to a few weeks and were working holidays to us. The Argus travelled to many other countries including Australia and New Zealand.

Maurice, for a simple question I gave you a long answer.

Jimmy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lest we forget

Jimmy. I only live a few miles down the road from Base Borden in Barrie. Tbink I told you before that we were in PEI in August doing a tour of the East coast. Pity we were not in touch then we could have got together for a beer. Will give you a longer reply by email. Maurice

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lest we forget

Hi Again Jimmy, Now I can't find your email address. Never mind,I was in the Air Police. Prior to joining the USAF I was in the Australian Navy having transferred from the Royal Navy in 1950 and joining the aircraft carrier HMAS Sydney in Portsmouth,we exercised round the UK and even paid a visit to Bangor and then Sydenham to pick up new aircraft for shipment to Australia. I had five days leave while there but as all my family had immigrated to Australia stayed with friends in Tonagh Estate Anyway to cut a long story short my time in the Aussie Navy took me all over the Pacific and Far East including two tours in the Korean War.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lest we forget

When my time was up I decided instead of returning to the UK I would immigrate to the USA,and join the USN, however I changed my mind and went into the USAF. In early 1959 I was transferred to the RAF Base at Brixe Norton in Oxfordshire. Where the USAF had B47 strike force bombers, always on stand by alert as this was Strategic Air Command. Anyway Jimmy let have your email address again so that I can communicate better. Maurice