Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buggy Row

Does anyone remember any of the families that lived on Buggy Row. I worked in Stewarts Mill and got to know some of them on my travels. Some names that come to mind are Gordon, Croft and McCaughety families. Also I remember the Watson family who lived on the main road round the corner of Batchelors Walk - (is that Antrim Road?) One of the girls was called Joan and she had a sister who played in a girls pipe band I believe they called her Sally?

Re: Buggy Row

Hi Billy,
Did you know any body
by the name of Andy Beatty or
Wilma Hillicks both of whom
worked in Stewarts? Andy passed
away a couple of years ago.
Wilma got married and moved
out of town.

Sylvia.

I think Wilma Hillicks used to live in Alexander Avenue 1950's.

When you say Buggy Row, do you mean Antrim Place off Antrim St near Stewarts. Davy Jones lived in there for a long time. Maurice

Re: Re: Buggy Row

Hi Maggi,

Yes, Wilma did live on Alexander Ave.
I visited there often. She's my first cousin.
Sylvia.

billy

my aunt and uncle lived in buggy row name davy and jinny doonan jinny worked in strwarts another family was currys billy curry used to gather with us mckeown street boys at williamsons shop window at nights. i was called home one night for bed billy said it,s a great wee town this so many things to do by the time you,ve made up your mind it,s time for bed?? billy had a sister also? the watsons you mentioned on antrim road just past batchelors walk was billy watson and his sister jillian? i think but there are a few other my vintage of that area and era who look and read forum and may remember more
good luck tom

Hi all, where would you hear of an address nowadays like Buggy Row or Squeeze Gut Entry or Hungry House Lane, which is still here, off the Glenavy Road.

Very graphic.

We're awfully swanky now - Thaxton Village, just up the road from me, Breton Manor, again just up the road, off the old Derriaghy Road. A lovely named one, my favourite, is Linen Green, again off the Derriaghy Road overlooking the reservoir.

I think it's a pity that the new developments are not given local names, like Linen Green.

Apparently, there is a slow down now in the demand for houses, with the result that some developers have come off site before completing their target.

Town houses and apartments are all the rage here now. I wouldn't thank you for them. Wee small windows and impossible to get reasonably sized gardens in these new developments. As well as that they're all sitting on top of each other.

I think I'll stay in my wee bungalow. I've loved it since we moved in 18 years ago and I still love it. We've privacy, good neighbours, quiet location and we can sit on the deck (which needs staining again) in the summer overlooked by no-one.

Don't mean to sound smug, and hope I'm not, but it's great to live in an area which you feel contented in.

Bad grammar, "in which you feel contented". Said that before LR got his neb in.

Ann,
U took the words out of my mouth. "In which I feel content" would have been better. Never end a sentence with a preposition. Pat

Pat,
These young people really do not have a grasp of grammer like what we has.

Low Roader,

U has sure enough said it right sure enough . Pat