Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Photographs

Two new photographs have just appeared on the Club's section of the main site.
One is of Christ Church YM and the other is the Altona factory team.
Most of the names are mentioned on the CCYM photo but none on the Altona one.
Can anyone on here solve the mystery?
It is a great pity Beano is off site as I am sure he would know most of them.

Re: Old Photographs

Low Roader
Thank you.
Don't recall anyone on the Altona photo, but, although I only knew him for a few weeks at Graceys in a summer over fifty years ago, I recognise that handsome young goalkeeper, Bobby Shirlow. As I mentioned previously, he is yet one more of those people who left a permanently pleasant place in my memory.

Re: Re: Old Photographs

I only can name one guy in the Altona Picture 4th from the left back row is George McCartney from the Ballnainch Rd. Sally.

2nd lad from the left is Norman Briggs, and is there a Stevenson in the front row (first left),

Katie

I have spent a lot of time looking at the photo and would suggest the following names:
Back Row:
Harry (Mc) Birney; Norman Briggs; ? ;
George McCartney (Thanks Sally);
? Mc Mullan; ?; ? ; ? Watson;
Front Row:
The only other ones I can suggest are :
Stevenson - 1st left;(Thanks Katie - did you know him?)
Cecil Davey - 3rd left;
Harry Gorman - with cup. ? ; ? ;
I think quite a few of them came from Belfast so it is unlikely we would know them or remember their names after this time.

Hi Low Roader,

The Altona picture, I can add to your list Kenny Reid back row right,George Smiley front row centre and Herbie Phillips right front row. John McMullan also played for Barnsley Star.

The C.C.Y.M. picture I do indeed know them all, the only two names missing are Robin Patton 6th from the left at the back, the other is Ray McLeer extreme right. Happy memories. Most of them played on the Cricket team along with yours truly. Great Stuff....

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Old Photographs

Low Roader,

Did you know that George Neill passed away recently,he never recovered from a fall.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Photographs

Hi Beano,
George is my cousin, unfortunately I had not seen him in many years. I do keep in touch with Derrick and he kept me abreast of George's condition. It was very sad situation.

Glad you're back on line.
Sylvia.

Yes I knew Ronnie and Reggie Stevenson, who is dead, also Robin Patton, Norman Briggs and George McCartney.

Katie

I forgot I also knew Ray McAleer a lovely fellow.

Katie

Hi all I never really look at the photographs but had to see the Altona one for personal reasons.

Who is the gorgeous hunk on the left hand side at the front. Blonde, good-looking. If I may say so, he reminds me of a young hubby.

Johnny Depp, eat your heart out!!!!!!!

Ann,

The blond fellow is Ray McAleer,he was from Warren Gardens and a real lovely guy.

Does anyone know where Ray is now?.

Katie

Hubby says he thinks Donald Mayes is in the front, I think maybe Cecil Walker is on the Christ Church photo, very well up in Lisburn Cricket Club all his life.

Katie

Ann,
I do not believe that Johnny D could compete with all that Lisburn hunks of manhood.
Maybe the "hunk" is hubby in disguise.

Thanks to all who helped.
The CCYM team is now complete on the Old Photographs section.
I doubt if the Altona team will ever be named as a lot of them are not local.

Hi all, Had a look at the Christ Church Football Team. Recognized that blonde hunk again. Also recognized the two Bobby Shirlows.

Saw Bobby Shirlow today (from the front row) but you would never know it was the same person. He looks very frail. I spoke to him outside Greens but am not sure if he remembered me although he spoke back. I knew him when he was a supervisor (a white coat) in Barbours.

But that handsome, blonde fellow. Now, If I was about 16 again.!!!!!!!!!!

Bed-time calls. My writing class tomorrow. Oh, I think I'll have sweet dreams tonight.

Goodnight all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Photographs

Hi Sylvia,

I knew you were related to the Neill Family, I still keep in touch with Derek, about once a week with an e-mail. George's fall must have been horrendous to have left him the way it did, with no quality of life, he was a nice personality and will be missed.

Beano

Ann,
Bobby ( or Wee Bobby as I knew him, to differentiate from Big Bobby of Dabbler memory) must be well into his seventies by now and I believe he got married very late in life.
Frailty is sometimes earned.

Ps: I won't comment on your dream machine.

Low Roader, I don't think wee Bobby Shirlow ever married, but I might be wrong. Maybe we're speaking of two different people.

Oh, that hunka hunka - JD is definitely in the shade now.

Give you all a laugh.

Oldest son was away overnight (thank goodness) so this morning (Sunday) hubby and I had a nice civilized breakfast with Radio 2 playing Sunday Love Songs. This man put in a request for his wife. He added that he loved her so much that every time he looked at her it gave him an ache.

I looked across the fried eggs at hubby and asked him if he got an ache when he looked at me. "Aye", he says, "but for the wrong reasons".

He didn't really say that but I thought it sounded funny.

Do all you ancient ones (including myself) remember how your heart leapt when you saw your loved one coming into view.

I wonder how we could re-create that feeling. It was great, wasn't it?

Pity mariage puts a stop to all that nonsense.

"When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother what would I be?" Remember?

My dear Letitia,
Please do not try to question your intellectually superior male.
Bobby married, I believe, a lady from the Co Down.
We are discussing the same Bobby who lived in the first house in Grand Street past Leamington.
I was al;so surprised by the news but delighted for Bobby.
A wee story about Bobby.
He spent a lot of time in our house and during a bread strike my mammy was worried about bread going stale if she bought a few loaves.
Bobby, with a dead pan expression informed her that there was not a problem:
" Just dip the loaf in a bucket of water Mrs. ? and there will be no staleness".
What a job we had stopping her.
What a woman.

Ann,

I told Sweetie not to get that request played as I already know his feelings for me.

Katie

Low Roader, re Bobby Shirlow, I will have to seek advise from the Wise One who knows all. In other words, big sis.

She's keeping quiet, isn't she?