Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ANOTHER TAKE-OVER IN LISBURN

You all know that the Down Royal Inn has been taken over by property developers.

Just heard this morning that the Racecourse Inn at the Maze is being closed. But, the big news is that Hague's Bar on Chapel Hill has been bought over by Lisburn Mall.

Hague's haven't owned it for a few years but it was thriving. I suppose the owners were given an offer they couldn't refuse. We'll soon not know that end of town any more, even we who live here.

I was just thinking this morning too, as I looked over at the wee row of houses facing the chapel, they'll be the next ones for a take-over.

WATCH THIS SPACE.

In a hurry today as we're (the Royal we) BBQing. Hubby hates it but have to keep him at it or he'll be away in to watch some oul sport or other. At the moment he's whistling, but if he sees me on this, he'll soon stop. (Wooden Heart is the tune, one of Elvis')

Bye

Re: ANOTHER TAKE-OVER IN LISBURN

Hi Ann
I am pleased that i had taken the photos of Hagues , when i had the chance , the times they are a changing . Just made your soup , it was as you said ,very nice , and as you said addictive . Looking forward to the carrot soup.
After our trip to London .
All the best
Tommy

Well we all have been making it. Ann's soup of course. Made the courgette yesterday, it was delicious, will serve that up again.

Thomas have a lovely trip to London, weather has improved here.

Liz

Re: Re: ANOTHER TAKE-OVER IN LISBURN

Thomas, yes, have a lovely trip to London. Will you go on the bus tour? Will you see any shows? I've never been on the tour but did see a show there a few years ago - Starlight Express It was the only one we could get booked for. I would have preferred Chicago.

Would love a wee trip to London, maybe when hubby is fit to walk long distances. Love all the hustle and bustle, but he doesn't.

Hi Thomas,

Enjoy your trip to London, let us know how you got on,
and what show you went to.

Katie

Starlight express is coming to the Opera House Belfast next month I think!

Tommy,
I've forgotten when you're going, but have a good time! Not sure what you like. Do the Tourist bit - See Westminster, Buck Palace, Downing Street, St Pauls - just to know you've been there; but the real London has many hearts. Soho, Carnaby Street and offshoots, where all the 'streetwise' people meet. It was one of the haunts of George Best, as was Kings Road, Chelsea, sometimes when he should have been playing football. Me, I wouldn't miss out going up to Islington and Holloway, to see the new flats they're building on the 'hallowed ground' of Highbury, and the wonderful new stadium at Ashburton Grove.
Sorry, Ann - I'm wandering off the subject again.

Dabbler, if and when we come to London, you'll have to promise to meet us. After all, you know all the places to go. We could see a show together and have a few bevvies afterwards OK?

Ann,
Wifey likes nothing better than a night by the tele. No interest in outings.

But, over the years, we've seen hundreds of football matches, and had season tickets at Highbury, we've been to all the 'tourist' places, we've eaten in 'ordinary' Islington and Soho cafes. We have also stayed in a suite at Le Meridien, Piccadilly, and we have had a meal in a Marco Pierre White Restaurant.
Been there, done it, wore the T-shirt.

Hi Katie ,Ann ,Dabbler , Liz , Beono. All .
Many thanks for the good wishes to my wife and i on our London trip . We had a ball , stayed at St Ermin hotel at Westminister , very central , and really good accomodation . Started of Tuesday , did a walkabout , Westminister St margarets church , Parliment Square, War Office , Cenotaph ,
Westminister Bridge, London Eye , Downing Street , Back to hotel . Phantom of the Opera , Her Majesties, Haymarket .Wednesday .Another walkabout St James Park, Birdcage Walk , The Mall , Clarence House, Buckingham Palace, Changing of the Guard , Show Les Miserables .Thursday Bus to Travalgar Square, Covent Garden , Theatre Land , Waterloo Bridge Did not see ROBERT TAYLOR . Down south bank onto Westmininster Bridge, Nelson Mandela Statue, Bus to Kensington Palace to see around Diana's home .Back to hotel and had a nice meal .Friday checked out of hotel and made our way homeward . We both thoroughly enjoyed the trip and the two shows , but a lot of energy needed to see as much as anyone can , in the time .
All best wishes .
Tommy

Hi Tom, see you had a good time in London. Visited all the places I would like to see and the shows. Would love to see Phantom of the Opera. Haven't seen London in a good few years, but would like to go again.

Hi Tom,
I am glad you and your wife enjoyed your trip to London, the sites you saw are great, but tiring on the old feet,I saw both shows, but really enjoyed Les
Miserables the best and have seen it twice since.

Which show did you both enjoy the most?

I am sure you have great photos of the trip, it is a great experience, it will now take you both a couple of days to recover.

The Nelson Mandela stature was only unveiled this week, so you and your wife must be the first crowd to see it. I must go to see it myself next time over there.

Katie

Hi Katie.
As you say it is hard on the feet but we must have got new energy . Evelyn loved both shows but my favourite like yourself is Les Miz, when i hear the music , i get very emotional . Our wee camera was nearly burnt out , but the photos are very good on the computer screen. We would go back in the morning . The people we met were very friendly , and helpfull . They live in a different world , just enjoying temselves and getting on with their lives .
All the best .
Tommy