Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ulster Hymn Writer and Humantarian

Hi everyone.

As you know I have visitors here from Aussie so i have been showing them around. Of course the Popular sites, like Niagara Falls area, The Welland Canal,and last Sunday we went to Elmira to see the Mennonites in their Horse Buggies at their Church. But the Highlite Yesterday, was a visit to the Grave of Joseph Scriven. Who wrote the Hymn." What a friend we have in Jesus".
From the Headstone and some literature we gathered the following information on this Great Man.

Ulster Hymn Writer and Humanitarian.
In a small triangular graveyard at Bailieboro,Co Cavan,Ontario ,Canada, on the shores of Rice Lake, there stands a white granite obelisk marking the last earthly resting place of an Ulsterman.The inscription on it reads :-

This monument was erected to the memory of Joseph Scriven, B.A. by lovers of his hymn engraved hereon and it is the best memorial. Born in Seapatrick,Co. Down,N.Ireland,September 10,1819. Emigrated to Canada,1847. Entered into rest at Bewdley, Rice Lake, August 10,1886,
[There followes the words of his hymn.]

Who was Joseph Scriven ? Let us turn back the pages of time and see.
Joseph Scriven was born in the parish of Seapatrick at the town of Banbridge,Co.Down,in Ballymoney Lodge, now owned by Mr.John Elliot. As a youth he could look over the rolling hills of Co.Down to the Mountains of Mourne, and in the valley see the town nestling beside the River Bann. On Sunday he worshipped Regularly in Seapatrick Parish Church with his parents. He was educated and he entered Addiscombe Military College,Surrey,in 1840,he graduated Bachelor of Arts from Trinity College,Dudlin in 1842.
Tragedy struck Joseph Scriven early in life. In 1847,on the eve of his wedding, his fiancee was thrown from her horse while crossing a ford on the River Bann and was drowned.
Shortly after this he emigrated to Canada and took up teaching at Port Hope, and in 1850 became tutor to the Pengally family on their farm at Bailieboro. He tutored two generations of the Pengally boys. At this time he took up preaching, and at the weekends went about the countryside preaching to farmers and friends, and also in Port Hope.
Tragedy struck his life again. He had formed an attachment with a relitave of the Pengally family but before the wedding, while near the lake,she accidentally fell in,and as the ice had not cleared from the lake when rescued, pneumonia developed, followed by tuberculosis,from which she died.
Knowing how grieved his mother would be at this second tragedy, he wrote two verses of a poem which he called "Pray without ceasing." These became the first two verses of his hymn.
He returned to Ireland on a visit. Because he had come back a poor man with Shabby Clothes he had the bitter experience of Slighted and Snubbed by his former friends. On his return to Canada he wrote the third verse of his poem, "Do thy friends despise,forsake thee."
Joseph Scriven owned nothing,and whatever he had he gave to the poor. he visited the sick and those in need. He gave spiritual guidance. He became known around the lake as "the man with the saw and axe" as he went from home to home of the aged and widows to chop their firewood.
Scriven's religion was not a casual experience. It was a power which gripped his life to the very depths. His faith was not in words only, but in deeds and helpfullness as he spent his time around the lake doing good to all. From a humblest log cabin to the richest farm he was always welcome.
He was not a robust man and his strength declined during his sixties. In his last long illness he was cared for in the home of a friend, a James Sackvill, who owned and operated a sawmill on the banks of a small stream feeding into Rice Lake. It was at this time that his friend found the words of Joseph's poem,and through him they were published in the local paper. It was seen by a Dr. Charles Converse, who was so greatly moved by the words that he set them to music. It gained International recogination under the title,"What a friend we have in Jesus," which is now one of our most-loved hymns.
During his illness, in a high fever, he wandered one night from the house. In the morning he was discovered dead on the banks of the stream, his body in an attitude of prayer.
For many years his grave remained unmarked, but on September 10th, 1919, the centenary of his birth, a group of clergy visited the grave and joining hands sang his hymn,which has brough comfort and uplift to thousand of hearts wherever the English language is spoken. Rev.W.D.Lee, of Millbrook Presbyterian Church ,formed a committee to erect a monument in his memory, and a granit obelisk,standing 13 feet high ,was the result. It overlooks the waters of Rice Lake where he spent the greatest part of his life. It was dedicated on May 24th 1920,when over 6,000 people gathered, including the Premier of Ontario E.C.Drilly. In paying tribute to Joseph Scriven the Premier said, " He did not build a railway or amass a fortune.He did more than that. He contributed a thought that will outlive railways and fortunes and it will go on enriching the the lives of men and women when other things of material nature have crumbled and perished." This tribute was spoken in sincerity along with others, such as " He lived a truly unselfish life," He went among the poor and afflicted and comforted the sorrowing,"and " He shared his life with the poverty stricken,"
He looked on all as friends,and perhaps these few lines or something similar may have been in his thoughts on the night of his death:-
Thank God for the friends who linger to watch life's sunset glow,
Thank God for the hopes of Heaven when the fires of earth burn low,
Should evening shadows find me on the shores of life alone,
Thank God for the link that binds me to his Eternal Home.

Those friends who snubbed and slighted him on his return to N. Ireland are gone and their names forgotten, but Joseph Scriven's name will live on, for few hymns have been so widely sung and so greatly beloved as his hymn.
In his home town of Banbridge NO Monument has been erected to the memory of this great man save a plaque on the wall of Ballymoney Lodge,his birthplace,which reads:-
Joseph Scriven, 1819-1886, was born here.
Hymn writer and humanitarian.

Sorry for such an epistle but it is of an interesting subject and a worthy mention.

Lord Downshire.

Re: Ulster Hymn Writer and Humantarian

Lord Downshire,

I am sure your visitors from Aussie land are having a great time with you, what with all the wonderful sites to see in your beautiful country.

What a lovely story you have posted, about Joseph Scriven,he really was a very charitable and humanitarian person he also seemed to have had a very sad life at times, what a pity his fellow Ulster men did'nt show the same charity to him when he came
home, how lonely he must have felt.
Yet, what a legacy he left with a simple little Hymn that must give comfort to a lot of people, especially when low or lonely.
I will think of that story, next time I hear the Hymn.

Katie

Re: Re: Ulster Hymn Writer and Humantarian

Well done Lord Downshire, very interesting story.

Terry

Thank you Lord Downshire. What a wonderful inspiring and deep story, and "What a friend we have in Jesus" remains and will I am sure remain a wonderful hymn full of truths. I am glad you took the time to share it, it shall be more precious to me the next time I sing it.

Liz

Hi there L. D. I saw a t.v.documentry on that very story and thought it was a very tragic life for Joseph Scriven,for such a small Island Ireland has produced a lot of scholars and very famous people. Ken.

Re: Re: Ulster Hymn Writer and Humantarian

Yes, LD, Ulster has produced a lot of famous people, including the one you mentioned. That's a lovely story and a lovely hymn and so true!!