Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Many a true word is spoken in jest.

Was browsing in the Internet this evening and came across words of wisdom from Bertrand Russell, British philosopher who died 1970 at 98 years of age.
Just 2 of his statements

Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so.

Marriage is for women the commonest mode of livelihood, and the total amount of undesired sex endured by women is probably greater in marriage than in prostitution.
Donald

Re: Many a true word is spoken in jest.

Mark Twain said,

"Man is the only animal that blushes
or needs to".

Funny when you think of that, isn't it. I know he meant women too Donald.

Re: Re: Many a true word is spoken in jest.

Johnny Carson said, "I know a man who gave up smoking drinking, rich food and sex. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself"

END OF QUOTES FROM ME.

Donald
I read a fair bit of Bertrand Russell's diverse work. All written, of course, before his death, hence the suffering of those married women.Today they don't wait for marriage before suffering so.

Ann
I read to my Aunt Lizzie because she was illiterate. I blushed because I was about thirteen, and understood what I was reading aloud.

Football, cricket, tenpin bowling, swimming! What a week! And I'm still up writing to you guys at this time of night.
Goodnight, and may your gods go with you.

Goodnight all - God Bless, sleep tight, don't let the bugs bite.

Dabbler
I haven't reached the works yet he wrote after death, that,s volume 2 I think
Donald

Hi Dabbler

U missed out on a great hurling match on Sunday Limerick v Waterford semi-final at Croke Pk. A blinder of a match, nip & tuk all the way. Limerick won by 5 points Score Limerick 5.11 W/ford 2.15, so Limerick into the final in a few weeks. The city was deserted on Sunday, I drove thru'it & I suspect no one is at work today. Kilkenny won their semi-final by 1 point so it will b Limerick versus Kilkenny in the Final. Limerick has'nt won a Final since 1973 & it was Kilkenny that beat them in 1974 so a match to look forward to soon. It will shown on T.V. R.T.E 1 , would'nt miss it. Over 80,000 at Croker on Sunday. The atmosphere was electric, Final is on Sunday 3rd Sept. Magic!! Hen[ 8-)]

Hi all,
Coming back to normal after the w/end, cousin gone back home, we had a great time reminiscing.
I console myself with this saying

"Wait till you're 18 to marry and don't be spoiling your growth"

And this " A man is a man when his woman is a woman"
I say this over to myself when Joe is ranting & raving about some trifle.

Re: Re: Re: Many a true word is spoken in jest.

Henpickerento, all I can say is CRAP!!

Donald, he did a good one on Math. Should help you to sleep.

Dabbler,
Did you mean this one ?

I like mathematics because it is not human and has nothing particular to do with this planet or with the whole accidental universe - because, like Spinoza's God, it won't love us in return.

I prefer,

I would never die for my beliefs as I might be wrong.

Donald

Dabbler & Donald. I like this one:

To fear love is to fear life and to fear life you are already 3 parts dead.

A coward dies a thousand deaths; a brave man only one.

Dabbler
'Tis very certain the desire of life extends it'
Lord Byron.

This could go on forever, couldn't it?

In reply to the great Byron: And the suicides?

Hen, I meant that I had been taking part, albeit with the grandchildren, in all those sports, not watching them.

Hi all,

Men become old, but they never become good.

Oscar Wilde

"I am not young enough to know everything"

Oscar Wilde

Dabbler, I put in a different one but it didn't go through and I had said that I agree with Katie's about men.

Depends on the definition of good, Oscar.

'Please do not shoot the pianist, he(she)is doing his(her) best'.

Donald, he wrote 'The Principles Of Mathematics', which I read during one of my madder attempts to 'better myself'.
I thought it might act as a somnambulent to anyone not interested in the discipline.

Forgot to say that was Oscar too.

On such a night as this I would outwrite you, but hark! I hear the footing of my wife. Goodnight, and may your gods go with you.
Joe

'oh, don't use big words, they mean so little'

Oscar Wilde

Goodnight

'Illusion is the first of all pleasures'

Oscar Wilde

Another Irish one:

"A knowledgeable man frowns more often than a dunce "
THINK ABOUT IT.
Pat

DAB,

Take a ringside seat in September & watch some skilful handling of a ball on the end of a hurley.
Hen.

Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.

Donald, I looked in but it's too early. My brain isn't working yet. Anyway, have to go out today. Talk to you all later.

1 2