Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Isle of Mann kippers

Hi all
In Munich centre this morning in a Deli I saw kippers, here they are called Brados, I bought one and it cost €1,50 about one GBP.
It stirred memories

How many out there ever got a packet of kippers posted from neighbours and friends who went on a trip or holiday to the Isle of Mann? I remember in the 50s a family from the locks called Braithwaite??? who lived beside my great uncle Ned Watters always sending him a box of kippers, it contained one dozen, cost including 6d postage a half crown!!!. That,s about 12 new pence for 12
Donald

Re: Isle of Mann kippers

Donald,

What an interesting story, I never heard of Isle of Mann kippers, but I am sure Ann will have a few stories when she comes back from LISBURN market.

Katie

Katie
you must have led a very sheltered childhood, I just cannot believe anyone never hearing of Manx kippers, maybe Ted can enlighten us, but I think most of the kippers sold in Norniron were from the Isle of Mann.
Donald

Re: Re: Isle of Mann kippers

Hi Donald I actually sent myself a box, would you by any chance remember the anual trip to the Island ran by Nazereth Lodge on the 12 july every year,The kippers there were surperb to the best of my knowledge a lot of Ardglass Herrings went there for the kippering as they are the perfect herrings as they are full of oil, I am still fond of a kipper but they aere mass produced now and they lack something,they come in an airtight packet and you do them in the microwave, In some hotels you would still find Isle OF MAN KIPPERS on the menu for breakfast at least they call them that, happy memories Kind regards Ted

Ted
Uncle Ned took us to Omeath every 12th, that was the only outing we ever had. Train to Warrenpoint, then boat to Omeath filled to capacity and accordion player. Omeath was an Eldorado for us then, Toblerone, Cadburys choc, Passing Cloud ciggies. Trip to Carlingford and / or Cavalry with the Jaunting car, Doyle's pub where we got a mineral. My great Uncle Barney and his wife Cassie from Barrack St, being childless had " a wee roughness " and were able to spend a week there.
Coming back on the boat with the Customs men waiting, sometimes confiscating contraband. I remember a Lowroad man getting off the boat ( won't mention any names ) and running from the Customs, being caught and having everything taken. It was before my time but I once heard about my Uncle Bobby in his youth also being frisked and losing everything.
Forget to mention the "willicks" and oysters sold outside Doyle's, used to turn my stomach watching the men eat them, not I cannot get enough.
Donald

Donald,
Sorry to disappoint u, of course I knew of kippers, but never knew they were Isle of Mann. Many a time I have cooked them, but never in a mirco-wave.

Katie

Re: Re: Isle of Mann kippers

Donald What a picture you paint you have a encredable memory its as if I was standing across from Doyle's I can here the sing song and the music the only thing you left out was the smell Regards (again) Ted

Katie
No offence meant, I was only joking
I just got a good ********** for frying the one I bought today without taking down the curtains and opening the window. She ate half of it of course and 2 of the potted herrings we made yesterday..
Ted
I,ve never been to the Isle of Mann,the nearest was when coming to Belfast on the Liverpool boat we passed it
Donald

Donald,
No offence taken, frying lovely plaice in Breadcrumbs at the moment.

Katie

Re: Re: Isle of Man kippers

Hi All,

On the subject of Isle of "Man" kippers. I was in Howth many years ago with the CLB. We stayed in an old mission hall on the pier next to a kipper smoke house, lo and behold the boxes they were packed in said Isle of Man kippers....... go figure.
I hate to be picky but there is only one "N" in Man.

Beano

Beano
Thanks, I have been confusing the Island with the Munich author Thomas Mann.
Donald