Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Good home cooking

Ann
Hungarian Goulash soup.
Fry a pound of onions with a kilo of steak pieces and 6 crushed ears of garlic in olive oil. Add a liter of boiling water and 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, salt . pepper and 1 teaspoon of BOHNEN***** ???( Cannot find any translation ). Allow to simmer covered for 2 hours or until meat has shredded. Dice finely and add 1 pound of peeled potatoes and 4 tablespoons of Bisto and allow to simmer until potatoes are cooked but not overcooked.
The secret is the Bohnen***** ,it adds a special taste and gives the soup a speckled appearance. The real McCoy is made using Horse meat I'm told but not for me. I only eat it once and it's not my thing
Donald

Don,t know why the word K R A U T was blocked. I can only describe it as the finely chopped dried tops of the bean plant. Bohnen is translated as runner beans and K R A U T as herbs or tops

Donald, many thanks. Wonder can you get that, ***** thing here or would we have an equivalent.?

I think that would make a wonderful winter dish but I will try it.

Donald, that word has been dropped for me too, but you know what I mean. Would we have something similar here? It's just because you said it was important to the dish.

Re: Re: Good home cooking

Donald, one time when we were in Italy, hubby ordered a steak. A friend of the family (Italian) came over and advised hubby that the steak would be horsemeat. Hubby went ahead anyway. He said that the steak was different - different taste and different texture, but pleasant and enjoyable.

I don't fancy it.

Once, when my parents were in France visiting big brother and his wife, who lived there at the time, unknown to my father they served him frog's legs. He thought it was chicken and ate it. However, when he heard what he had eaten, he couldn't believe it.

When hubby and I were in France, one wet day big brother went out with us and collected snails (they come out in the rain) and of course are different to our snails. He filled a big pail and gave it to a neighbour who was delighted. There's a long, long process there and I cannot remember it all. Again, I wouldn't fancy it but apparently it's a great delicacy, only to be served at Christmas, etc. with garlic and stuffing of course. I'd rather have a nice fresh trout, salmon or potted herring.

Hi Ann
I think I found what Bohnen***** is called in Latin, maybe someone can translate it = Satureja hortensis)
Donald

Thanks Donald. As big brother is on holidays I'll have to get someone else to translate for me.

Hi Ann.
Regarding your Courgette Soup , how much Chicken stock needed , and do you use a Chicken stock cube .
I hope to make some of your soup for myself , as my wife is a basic Vegetable soup lover , still like the old days .
Many thanks .
Tommy

Tommy, Re the Courgette Soup.

For 1 kg courgettes, use 2 litres of chicken stock.
1 or 2 GOOD chicken stock cubes, like Just Bouillon.

It's so easy to make and is delicious.

Good luck.

Here's a wee recipe for CUCUMBER IN YOGHURT SAUCE which I also got from France.

one cucumber, sliced
Yoghurt with vinegar, olive oil, salt and papper.

40 min to 1 hour before making the salad, put cucumber in a draining bowl with salt.

Rinse cucumber and dry the pieces.

Mix with the sauce.

Try if you wish. I love it.

Katie, you might wish to try this one too.

Thomas, I have quite a few vegetarian type recipes for soup, including red pepper soup, spicy parsnip, and one I made this week for the first time - delicious - HOT CUCUMBER SOUP.

Any time you need a recipe, let me know.

Tommy, Re the Courgette Soup.

For 1 kg courgettes, use 2 litres of chicken stock.
1 or 2 GOOD chicken stock cubes, like Just Bouillon.

It's so easy to make and is delicious.

Good luck.

Here's a wee recipe for CUCUMBER IN YOGHURT SAUCE which I also got from France.

one cucumber, sliced
Yoghurt with vinegar, olive oil, salt and papper.

40 min to 1 hour before making the salad, put cucumber in a draining bowl with salt.

Rinse cucumber and dry the pieces.

Mix with the sauce.

Try if you wish. I love it.

Katie, you might wish to try this one too.

Thomas, I have quite a few vegetarian type recipes for soup, including red pepper soup, spicy parsnip, and one I made this week for the first time - delicious - HOT CUCUMBER SOUP.

Any time you need a recipe, let me know.

Hi all, sorry that went through twice. I thought it hadn't gone the first time. I know twice will be FAR too much information for non-cooks.

Going to have an early night. Meant to be a good day tomorrow so will try and get to the market for more herrings.

Goodnight all.

Hi Ann.
Many thanks for your assistence regarding soup , your neighbours must be very envious of the different smells coming from your kitchen window .I know iam when i read of the things you are cooking . Do you live near Spruce Street . Maybe you would have known my brother Enver who was married to Maisie Dalzell , they lived at no 11. Also my uncle and aunt Thomas Graham who lived at Hugenot .
All the best .
Tommy

Hi Ann .

Would you have a recipe for Vegetarian Lasagnia , i think that is how it is spelt . The request comes from my daughter in law .
Many thanks .
Tommy

Hi Thomas. my goodness, it really is a small world. I knew the late Maisie Dalzell and her husband. Didn't know his christian name was Enver. I always refer to people by their maiden name, so forgive me for calling Maisie 'Dalzell'.

Maisie was a lovely, quiet person. I knew all the Dalzell family, still see Joan and the older one, whose name I can't remember, but she and her late husband used to go to the same dancing class as us in Hilden Bowling Club. I remember the wee one who died very young, again I forget her name. And, of course, Billy.

I remember one year Maisie and her husband visited Amsterdam to see the tulips in bloom, that was a long time ago. I thought at the time that was very exotic, going to Amsterdam. She loved it I know that. Maisie was a good, religious person.

I also remember Mr and Mrs Dalzell. She was a chubby and cheerful woman and I know she died first. Mr Dalzell used to walk a wee dog, he was small, inoffensive and he spoke to everyone. I know his older daughter and husband came to live with him.

I have to answer something else for you but I'll have to go back to your original query. The oul mind's goin', and goin' fast!!

Hi Thomas, yes, Tommy Graham from Huguenot Drive. Was that "big" Tommy Graham as he was know. He had twin sons. I think he was in the TA, something vague comes back to me from when I was young that he wore a uniform.

Anyway, if that's the one, yes, I knew the family very well too. The twins would walk every Sunday past our house on their way to Hillhall Presbyterian Church, as did the Smyths. (Cilla, etc).

The Grahams' were fine people, the old stock. Decent, quiet, friendly. Mrs Graham was a nice woman too, she was quieter than her husband. Tommy was a great big rotund man (hope that's the right word - I never check my dictionary) and he had a great colour - very healthy looking They always kept greyhounds.

Thomas, there is a new page which Jim has set up for recipes. It's just there under Forum, so I'll put the vegetarian lasagne on it. I make this regularly for myself as Mince doesn't agree with me.

Good luck. In fact, there's two which I make. One is mushroom lasagne, which is the nicer I think. Then, there's the vegetarian one.

Thomas, just to let you know that I put both recipes on the Recipe Page. However, I don't have a printer working so they may not have gone through. I've contacted Jim Collins. If they don't go through, I'll put them on the ordinary Exiles Page.

Due to floods, and heavy rainfall, slugs etc; have had a field day. Expect dramatic increase in price of veggie, as well as eggs - shortage of grain to feed chickens.

Dabbler, sorry about your weather. Yesterday and today we spent out in the garden - sunbathing. Near time I might add.

Not sure, but I think tomorrow's to be good as well.

Hi Thomas. On reading my previous reply to you re Tommy Graham, I know now I've got him mixed up with big Frank Graham. Frank was the one with the twin sons and another son as well. They lived in Huguenot Drive too.

Hubby has pointed out to me that Tommy Graham, as you mentioned, was actually our next door neighbour in Huguenot Drive. He was married to Mary and they had two sons - Kenneth and Gordon, both dead now unfortunately, and a daughter Myrtle, who is still alive and well as far as I know.

They were good neighbours, quiet, minded their own business. We all got on well there in Huguenot, neighours were neighbours in those days.

SO, forgive me Thomas, for getting the Grahams' mixed up. Maybe you remember the other Grahams' too.

I remember our neighbours Tommy and Mary Graham, when their first grandson was born. As he got older, he used to come round quite often. Sometimes he would have an argument with his granny. He was only a young child at the time. Anyway, I remember him going to the living room window, knocking it and saying "Nanny, are you friends with me?"

My daughter, who was about the same age, didn't like him, nor he her. You know what youngsters are like at that age.

Hi Tom/Thomas,

I did'nt know the twin Grahams' were related to you,I remember they used to visit a house in Church Street,I always thought it was a grandmothers house. They were very shy and quiet lads, but always said hello.
I always thought their father was in the Irish Guards as he was friendly with my older brother, who had also been in the Guards.

Hubby says, they were very good footballers, they played for the Strollers and that he played against them many a time.

Katie

Hi Ann
It sure is a small world , when you lived next to my Uncle Tommy and Aunt Mary , yes i knew the twins Francie & Geordie , And Katie i am not related to them .
Ann many thanks for your assistence in the soup and lasange dept , i still can not spell it .
Take care and all best wishes to Rachael .
Tommy .

1 2