Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Boys' School

Hi Ted,
Jack surely did play the dulcimer and Mary sang.
Our house was a favourite Saturday night rendezvous for a few people after the pubs closed.
I can still picture vividly sitting at the top of the stairs listening to Jack and Mary sing Honeymoon Time and my daddy singing “If you’re going back to Dixie”.
Those really were the days.

Regarding the Boys club, there is a very good photograph in the Old Photographs section. I was too young for that particular group but joined later and then led a large group back to Newcastle. We slept in a big hall next to the railway station and had our meals in the Golf Hotel (what a misnamed place) and did the climb of Slieve Donard which seemed to be obligatory if the club went to Newcastle.
Andy was a Scot. His son David died in tragic circumstances, I believe. I am no relation to the family, so I am afraid you still have some work to do.
Best regards,
Speak to you soon.
LR

Joe,

Sorry, I did'nt get back to u, as far as I know Harry and Mary McVeigh went to England years ago, I never saw them again.

Kaite

Hi Ted,
I have some news on the school photo.
First up I do not think that is Mr Woodend. It just does not fit with the man I knew.
I am sure young Watters will have a view on this and no doubt will give us the benefit of his photographic memory.
I have consulted with my agent at large in Lisburn and he informs me as follows:
Back Row:
Jim (*****y) Johnston; Harold McLurg;
Front Row:
James Barbour; Harry Maginess.

He also noted that the jerseys were as supplied by Barbours with the Barbours trade mark red hand. These were identical to the jerseys originally given by the mill to Hilden Recreation FC.
I remember Hiden Rec. jerseys as being black and yellow halves.

You really have sent my memory into overdrive.
LR

Lowroader
I must agree with you Mr Woodende looked different in my day. Beside Mr Barbour I think it could be Robbie McKitterick, later a foreman painter in the mill. The other gent standing is Paddy Tomann, from the front street, his wife kept a wee shop and he was an old army man, his son is sitting in front of him, The Johnson could be from Down Villas at Lisnatrunk. His daughter used to write here on the forum. Nick Maginnes I recognize also, wasn't he killed in an accident some years ago? Billy Dornan I recognize, his father Tam was a timekeeper in Mackies, he served his time in the mill as a fitter. The Friars in the front row could be a son of old Billy Friars, an ex cavalry man from the Lowroad who fought in both wars, later a carter in Belfast. Sorry but I cannot be more definite
Donald

Lowroader
after considerable pondering, I change my mind and also the McKitterick to Harry or Tommy, Robbie was too old to have played 1936.
Perhaps you or Ted or Beano or anyone can help me remember a name. Who was Tommy ??? who lived in Leamington, he was reared by old Brigit Watters, lived alone worked also as a timekeeper in Mackies, what little hair he had was ginger, a quiet person.
Donald

Donald,
You have me on Tommy.
There was no Tommy living on his own in Leamington that I can think of (nor can the other one).
I can remember every house in the "old" Leamington and there was definitely no one of that description or name.
I remember Brigit Watters living in the wee houses past the lane to the 41s but again, I do not remember any chap, as you describe.
I keep a list of all the families who lived in Leamington for almost all of my time there and there is nobody any where near your description.

I look forward to hearing from you.
LR

Lowroader
Now I remember who he was , Tommy Kelly , almost 100% sure. When I made application to start in Mackies my great Uncle Ned asked him to" speak for me" or to " put a word in " as it was referred to then. The relationship I don,t know , as you know yourself in those days some things were only spoken behind closed doors so I will probably never know how .
Donald

Joe, your notes on 6th July are interesting, and appreciated.
LR, I have just this minute rememberd Davy McCormick from the Low Road. He used to go round to Linenhall Street, mostly to see Kevin Corken, when he was about ten or twelve years old. Kevin nicknamed him Sunshine, because, so Kevin thought, he always brought the sun with him.

Brendan Fitzpatrick didn't seem such a malicious user of the cane as some others. Still gave out the whacks, but at the time, - I wouldn't agree now - seemed fair.

Dabbler,
Good to hear from you.
Davie and kevin were big pals.
Kevin, of course, later moved to the nissen huts at Grove Street and then to Leamington with the family.
Davie was the milk boy for John Morrow and later took over the business when John retired.

It is funny how one conversation can kick off all sorts of memories, many of which were dormant.
LR

LR, you are so right. I look back, and suddenly spot a name, and BANG, I 'see' the person again.
As previously stated, I knew all the Corkens.

Last time I was talking to Gabriel Kerr he told me Davy McCormick moved some time ago to London and now does voluntary charity work to help homeless people there. Also Mrs Dougherty who once owned the shop at the top of East Down View as well. Very commendable.
Donald

Donald,
Davie is back and living in Newcastle (lucky man).
His son has a shop at the junction of Ballynahinch/Old Hillsborough Roads.

LR

Re: Re: Boys' School

Low Roader,Donald et all,

Is this the same Davy McCormack that married May Logue from Gregg St?. I know May's husband came from the Low Road.

Beano

Beano,
I cannot answer your question.
What I can say is that the separated some time ago.
Perhaps your knowledge of Co Down may allow you to answer.

Re: Re: Boys' School

Katie
I refer you to your 6th July comments on corporal punishment. Well said!

Do/did you or Ann know a girl called McDermott, who was a doffer in Stewarts Mill in 1950/1?

Katie
Thank you for your reply on the Hilden thread aboutt corporal punishment. I take it you read my piece above? You write about kids going around shouting for no reason in London. I wish that was the worst sign of violence, (and I doubt it is due to lack of a smack), but there was plenty of smacking going on in N Ireland in the fifties and sixties. I rest my case.

This is a very interesting page for me, with all those comments on my old school.

Dabbler, yes, of course, I am glad that times have changed in that children are not abused by teachers. I did say these teachers were few and far between. That's the other extreme. Teachers then could more or less do as they pleased.

Now we've gone in the other direction where the children know they can do more or less anything. The teachers or parents are left with very little in the way of discipline and the young lones know that.

As in everything, I'm talking moderation. I agree with sweetie, a stint in the army or Boot Camp would smarten them up.!!

Dabbler,

Shouting is'nt the worst, I did'nt want to go into it in more detail, it is scary for elderly I think every where.
In the days when we all went to school corporal punishment was the norm, even at home, my dad never lifted his hand to me in his life,but my mum could could dish it out, if I did anything wrong. I would never have said I got slaped in school for she would have given me the same. ( I don't think it done me any harm)
I was always good Ha,Ha (NOW ANN KEEP QUIET)

The boss has spoken, he says have a look around the country and see what is going on now, without a bit of a slap. Dabbler he has hooked it now.

I know some teachers were wicked, but not all, and I know it was'nt right, but thank goodness those days are all gone. (school I mean)

My Lord, I rest my case. Next case, please.

Katie

Right, Judge Judy. I know I'm a bore but I'm going to bed, having just finished a cup of coffee.(Is there a blue moon in the sky?) Well, after all, if I'm to be nice and fresh tomorrow for this shopping spree I need my beauty sleep.

Hubby is or was watching Midsomer Murders which I don't like.

Goodnight all. Sleep tight.

Were the young adults of NI 70s better for having received a good slapping as children?

Dabbler,

Slapping went out of the schools about the late 60's/70's.
Something has gone wrong for a lot of young people
to-day have no respect for parents, teachers or authority, but I am not saying all young people, just the yobs.

You mentioned on one of your postings,a McDermott girl,The only McDermotts I knew were from Tonagh, and Dunmurry. I went to school with McDermott girls from
Dunmurry and hubby went to school with John McDermott, I also went to school with a Rosaleen and Dolores, McDermott when I was in infant class, but sadly they had to move, I loved Rosaleen she was so frail and thin I used to put my arms around her and give her a hug as she was always cold,I used to tell my mother about her, in later years I heard Rosaleen and her sister went to
America, I never saw them again,but they had older sisters, and they used to tell me she always asked about me and that really pleased me, as I never forgot her.
I think the olders sisters may have worked in the mill, I never see them now.

Pat on the site may have know the older sisters.

Katie

Thanks Katie
It is of no importance, the mill girls - just remembered the girl, out of the blue, as it were. A boy called Kevin, in whom she had no interest, used to stare at her, professing undying love, and she blushed. I could swear she had a brother there too.
( I'll give the slapping a miss - too complicated).
Could discuss Darwin's theories, or Richard Dawkins? No, better not!

There was a family McDermot, originally from Dungannon, a garrison town, who moved to Hilden. The mother, children, Sally, Jim, Bridie and Elizabeth. The mother later married Jackie McCormick from Leamington. They lived in Tullynacross before moving to Bridge St Hilden near the girl's entrance to the school. Jim used to go to England to work and was if my memory serves me right was in the TA. During the Suez Crisis us boys used to banter him he would have to serve his country. I think he attended summer camps in Salisbury. Dabbler might know him. Arthur Ireland, his neighbour Rabbie ?? a veteran of both wars, Shields, Lewis, but to name a few who have gone onward to their reward lived in Richardson's Row. In the Shield's entrance hall a tropical helmet and spurs were hung, it's possible the father served in Africa during the war.

Thanks for reply, Donald. We had connections at Tullynacross, but cannot for the life of me remember...
I sometimes think May White, nee Cowan, who moved up the Longstone, and had a son, Samuel, may have lived there.

1 2