Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When are you out of the woods?

Hi everyone,
It's been a long time since I posted. I was treated Hormone+ Brachytherapy+low-dose radiation 8 years ago. Until last year, my PSA has been around 0.2 or lower. I had a bit of a shock today as I collected the results of my annual PSA check: 1.8! This would suggest doubling every 3 months. Admittedly, I've had a long-term recurring so I dismissed the first rising. But I've been on an extended antibiotic regime for 2 months, so that can't account for the rise.

I'm going to ask to see my oncologist - after eight years he probably won't remember me, but I do remember him saying once, 'if you get to 10 years, you can consider yourself cured'.

So, I was wondering, has anyone else found themselves back in PSA anxiety after 8 years (or more) of successful treatment?

And what might be my options if the beast has indeed come back?

Re: When are you out of the woods?

David:

Based on my interactions on various sites like YANA, its my impression that a recurrence after 8 years is not all that uncommon. If that's what is happening, you are again confronted with a series of very difficult decisions.

-- A meeting with your oncologist is a logical first step.

--What your oncologist recommends will provide you with direction for whatever research effort you undertake.

--I have documented my experience with PCa recurrence in an on-line journal some of which you may find helpful; see http://protondon.blogspot.com/ If you decide to have a look I suggest you start with the entry titled "To My Family, Friends and Cyberspace Buddies."

Best wishes Don O.

With prostate cancer, you are probably never out of the woods completely.

In 2011, I was diagnosed with Gleason 3 +3 prostate cancer with low volume. I had seed implant. My PSA went down to 0.1 within a year and half. But in 2015 it started rising to reach 1.5 by July 2016. A second biopsy finds an extra-capsular mass. Between October 2016 and April 2017 I had ADT and cyberknife. My PSA remained undetectable until January 2018. Then it started rising very rapidly with PSADT less than 2 months to reach 3.26 by October 22. A PET/CT scan under a clinical study found metastatic prostate cancer in about 10 lymph nodes. A biopsy of one of the lymph nodes confirmed cancer in that node. I have started hormone treatment with Casodex and Lupron on November 16. On November 16, my PSA was 4.48.

Mazharul; Sorry to hear how your battle is going with cancer. It goes to show that NO cancer is minor and not worth going after. Your Gleason six cancer seems to have been very resistant to treatment and is now starting to roam. Good that you are sharing your results as it may be helpful to others. I have heard many say things like a Gleason six is so non aggressive that it may never need treatment. This is a misleading and at times dangerous assumption. A lesser Gleason score often seems to give one more options about what to do about it but the extra choices can actually complicate the process. None of us know when we first contracted this disease or how long it has been in us before we find out it is there. There is to my knowledge no way to tell the "age" of a diagnosed cancer and how long it may have had to mature and spread inside us. After treatment we all fear a recurrence and sadly some experience that very thing. Maybe if we live long enough we all will experience that, no one knows or can guess. The whole process is a gamble and all we can do is to weigh the odds against our personal expectations to choose what course we think might be best for us. Again, sorry to hear of your recurrence and wish you success in fighting the beast. Jon.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS