Return to Website

DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line!

This is a general bulletin board for posting information, resources and questions regarding the dachshund. No listing of dogs for sale allowed. All posts will be removed.

DORG - The Dachshund Magazine On-Line!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dachshund Back Problems- need advice!

My long haired dachshund who we think is around 4 yrs old (hes a rescue) started showing signs of back problems starting Jan. 8th. Whimpering when picked up or touched in the abdomen, and a major personality change, he is not a happy dog any more, also refuses to do stairs or climb into his bed on the floor. I immeddiately got him into the vet, who decided he was not a surgical case yet. So we have been treating him with prednision, muscle relaxers and tramamdol for pain. After 4 trips to my regular vet and changes in dosage for medication, she gave me a referral to an orthopedic surgeon, whom also wants to continue treating him medically for the next month, and then re-evaluate. The problem I am having is that my Dog is in so much pain, he is not the same dog I had before all of this. It is hearbreaking and stressfull, and I just want to know if anyone out there has gone through the same thing? Should I seek a second opinion?