Mahlangeni - The Meeting Place

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message. Messages can be food related or about any topic featured on my website!

Mahlangeni - The Meeting Place
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salads for barbecues

Hello
I really enjoy your website but was wondering if you could help me with a really tasty curried pasta salad that I tasted back home which accompanies barbecues. I think this one had peaches in it as well and was really delicious, can anyone help or something similar will do. Am running out of ideas for salads
Thanking you in advance, keep up the good work
JENNY

Re: Salads for barbecues

Hello jennifer, try this one:

Curried pasta salad

Ingredients
250 ml uncooked pasta shells
SAUCE
2 onions, sliced into rings
oil
7 ml curry powder
1 ml turmeric
30 ml chutney
15 ml apricot jam
15 ml tomato sauce
80 ml white grape vinegar
pinch salt
30 ml sultanas
440 g pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
3 bananas, sliced

Method:
Cook the pasta in sufficient rapidly boiling water until tender. Drain well and spoon into a dish. SautT the onions in a little oil until tender. Add the curry powder and turmeric and stir-fry for another minute. Reduce the heat, add the remaining ingredients (including 80 ml of the reserved pineapple juice), except the pineapple chunks and bananas, and simmer for a few minutes. Cool and mix with the pasta shells. Add the pineapple chunks and bananas and stir lightly. Store in the fridge until needed. Serve with braaivleis. Serves 4.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello
I really enjoy your website but was wondering if you could help me with a really tasty curried pasta salad that I tasted back home which accompanies barbecues. I think this one had peaches in it as well and was really delicious, can anyone help or something similar will do. Am running out of ideas for salads
Thanking you in advance, keep up the good work
JENNY

Re: Re: Salads for barbecues

Hello Peter
Thank you very much for your recipe, it looks delicious and will let you know how everyone enjoyed it as soon as I make the salad. Very kind of you to send it to me. Here is a recipe of mine which I hope you will enjoy
DELICIOUS PRAWNS
4 dozen prawns shelled
1 full teaspoon chopped ginger
6 cloves garlic chopped
1 whole small bunch fresh coriander chopped
2 lemons, l set aside for garnish
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ a red chilli
A pinch of salt and a little black pepper.

Prepare the ingredients in advance and set aside in a bowl. This dish must be prepared just before you sit down at the dinner table. While your guests are seated pour your olive oil into a wok or good heavy bottomed frying pan as soon as it starts to heat up cook the ginger and garlic just for a few seconds, add your prawns immediately and the time it takes to choose your spatula to mix everything together your prawns will be cooked. Remember prawns must just say hi to the pan otherwise they will be rubbery and dry . This is the moment to add the juice of l whole lemon, the balsamic vinegar a quick stir then turn the heat off completely. Remove your pan from the stove and add the coriander. Don’t forget to season your dish just before removing from the heat.
You may serve these prawns as a starter on a bed of greens of your choice like mache salad and lemon wedges or as a main meal with a spanish rice and lemon wedges.
What about a nice white wine just to give the final flourish to accompany your divine creation.