Mahlangeni - The Meeting Place

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message. Messages can be food related or about any topic featured on my website!

Mahlangeni - The Meeting Place
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cape Malay curry powder

I would like to know what spices are used in the tradional Cape malay curry powder

Re: Cape Malay curry powder

Hello Judith

I dont have the ingredients to the Malay curry but I do have a malay Curry Recipe for you listing all the individual ingredients, Just substitute the crayfish with a fisf of your choice. Enjoy!

HoutBay Crayfish Tail Curry
Make sure that the shell and the tail of the crayfish are split open and the alimentary canal extracted before cooking

1 x 3 cm block tamarind
125 ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
60 ml (1/4 cup) oil
1 large onion, chopped
45 ml (3 tbsp) tomato puree
5 ml (l tsp) turmeric
5 ml (1 tsp) red masala
625 ml (2 1/2 cups) water
3 medium, fresh or frozen crayfish tails, quartered
1 small tomato, blanched, peeled and pulped
5 ml (l tsp) garlic and ginger paste
1 starseed petal (star anise)
10 curry leaves
5 whole cloves
5 allspice
4 pieces stick cinnamon
4 cardamom pods, split open
5 ml (l tsp) salt
5 ml (l tsp) ground jeera (cumin)

SOAK TAMARIND IN the boiling water and sugar for about 2 minutes. Strain and set liquid aside.
Heat oil in broad, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and braise until golden-brown. Add tomato puree, turmeric, masala and 125 ml (1/2 cup) water; reduce heat to low. Add tails, tomato pulp and remaining ingredients, except jeera and tamarind liquid, to saucepan and cook slowly.
Add remaining 500 ml (2 cups) water, jeera and tamarind liquid. Add more sugar to taste, cover and simmer gently. Do not remove lid until ready to serve with fluffy white rice and lemon wedges. SERVES 5