Mahlangeni - The Meeting Place

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message. Messages can be food related or about any topic featured on my website!

Mahlangeni - The Meeting Place
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cape seed loaf

In Cape Town we have alway enjoyed the seed loaf bread that they serve and sell there. I urgently need this recipe as it will make my feeling homesick a lot less. Can anyone help me?

Re: Cape seed loaf

Hello Susan

Try these:

Seven seed loaf

Ingredients
600 g wholewheat flour
5 ml salt
10 g instant dried yeast
15 ml poppy seeds
15 ml sesame seeds
30 ml sunflower seeds
500 ml lukewarm water
30 ml cooking oil
30 ml honey or syrup
seeds or oats for topping

Method:
1. Sift flour and salt together. Add bran left in sieve, yeast and seeds. 2. Combine water, oil and honey and add to dry ingredients. Mix well. 3. Spoon into a well-greased 23 cm loaf tin and sprinkle with seeds. 4. Cover lightly with a damp towel or cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 20-30 mlnutes. 5. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 ºC for 40 to 45 minutes.

Seed loaf with biltong butter

Ingredients
420 g wholewheat flour
125 ml sunflower seeds
60 ml sesame seeds
500 ml plain yoghurt
5 ml honey
7 ml bicarbonate of soda
125 ml milk
BILTONG BUTTER
250 g butter or margarine
250 ml finely grated beef biltong
25 ml chopped parsley
few drops lemon juice

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 ºC (350 ºF). Grease a 23 x 13 x 7 cm loaf tin with margarine. Combine the wholewheat flour and seeds. Mix the remaining ingredients and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well and spoon into the prepared loaf tin. Bake for 1 hour or until done - a little dough will still adhere to the tip of a testing skewer. Serve with biltong butter. Cream butter until soft. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Turn into butter dishes and chill until needed. Decorate with biltong slices or sprigs of parsley. Makes a medium-sized loaf and about 375 ml biltong butter