THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Training This Thursday (9th October) / No Match This Sunday (12th Oct)

It has now been confirmed that we definitely have no match this coming Sunday (12th October).
We will NOT be training this Sunday instead because:
a) Officially, there are no pitches/full-size goalposts available because they are all being used for League matches.
b) Too many of our players need to earn 'brownie points' from the missus.
c) If we went over Hazelwood and used the other pitch (or the grass near the car park) for training, then used the changing rooms and showers afterwards because we have the keys, St. Mary's (who are at Home this Sunday) would get the hump. (We would if they did that to us !?)
d) I am massively busy with all this Youth Tournament editing work and I can get that finished quicker if we don't do anything this Sunday, thereby allowing me to start editing OUR matches so far this season maybe a week earlier than originally scheduled. (Obviously, we all can't wait to see the 5-0 win against St. Margaretsbury and also the 7-2 win against Woodhurst in the Pre-Season Friendly).

I therefore think that players should make an extra effort to attend training either this Thursday or the following Thursday (16th), especially if they did not play yesterday and want to be in contention for a place in the squad for our London Cup match in Chiswick on the 19th.

The squad for that game at the moment is 12 of the 13 who played yesterday (as Conor is not available on the 19th), with the other four places in the squad of 16 up for grabs.
Yes, some players will be named in the squad despite not being able to attend training because of work & family commitments, but that is invariably because they have paid their Annual Subs, have been regulars in the team for the past few seasons or played yesterday. (If we win and play really well, Trevor will invariably pick the same team for our next match...and so he should .

At the moment, we have about 14 players (including goalkeepers) wanting to play for us on Sundays who were NOT in the starting line-up yesterday.
Most of them are all of fairly equal ability, so if they make an effort to attend training, pay their Annual Subs and don't owe loads of match/weekly subs, then they are more likely to get in the squad ahead of others.
Once they are in the squad, invariably 2 or 3 players always drop out on the morning of the match, so they then find themselves in the starting line-up...and if we win and they play well, they will more than likely keep their place.
That's how it works and I think it's pretty fair.

For this Thursday, I am expecting the following players to be in attendance:
Terry Moore (Although he may have to miss part of the session due to an Old Eds' Committee Meeting), Tem, Foysol, Danny Green, Danny Hagan, Jacko (to do some fitness drills !?), Tony King, Loveday, Speller, Oz and maybe one or two others if they can get off work or babysitting duties (or are still interested).

Finally, Scott Jenkins is now suspended for our next match as he failed to turn up yesterday and did not have an excuse other than being pissed.
Obviously, if we are short of players, then he will be named in the squad though.
Paul Amico was not there because he doesn't drive and Scott was supposed to be picking him up.

What happened with Kizza is that I wanted a 9.20.a.m. meet at the Southbury Leisure Centre so that we could leave there at 9.30.a.m. at the latest. This is because I have all the kit, etc. in my car and I do NOT want to turn up at the venue after 10.00.a.m.
Also, all the other drivers don't know how to get there and want to follow in convoy.
At 9.30 I phoned Kizza to see where he was and it went onto voicemail. If it had not been pissing down with rain, we would have waited a bit longer in the SLC car park for him, which we also would have done if he had answered straight away and said he would only be 5 minutes.
I therefore got annoyed and left, with everybody else following. Kizza then texted me about a minute later and said he would be at the SLC at 9.40 and could somebody wait for him ?!
If he had answered his phone at 9.30, I could have given Tem or Danny Hagan a map and they could have waited for him !
Because of this, Kizza will not be named in the squad for the London Cup match unless we are short of players without him.
We cannot have players turning up late when we are meeting at the SLC to drive to THAT match...a possible 60-minute journey !

Re: Training This Thursday (9th October) / No Match This Sunday (12th Oct)

Has anyone actually heard from Scott or Paul as to why they didn't turn up or is Laurence making an assumption based on Scott's reputation.

It would be nice to have an explanation (and apology if appropriate) from them on the Forum.

I should be ok for training now, work event cancelled for Thurs evening.

Trev, Danny Green phoned Paul Amico yesterday afternoon to find out what happened, then texted me.
Amico is definitely not to blame.

If Scott is serious about getting up on Sunday mornings to play for us, then maybe he should come on here and assure us that he CAN get out of bed in time !?

Will not be there, legs are still facked......

And thanks a lot you w@nkers, not one of you sponsored me !!!!!!!

www.justgiving.com/psychoandnessie

Done something to my Knee playing 5-a-side tonight, hope it is just a knock. Going to rest up as I have a big game Sat at HSBC. Sorry

Danny Hagan is not going training either (at the moment) as he is working 'up North'.
However, I will be there, even if there are just 6 or 7 of us.

won't be at training working in warwickshire

Rob Brown is not coming training because he is now working late.

I make it that training tonight is just myself, Trevor, Tem, Loveday, Foysol & Tony King...unless anybody else can be arsed ?
There are 11 other players on my list who have not told me they CANNOT attend this week !

I will be going over there anyway and if 'nobody' turns up by 7.45. I will go home.

Jacko

If Big George had run the Loch Ness Marathon I would have sponsored him!

are you taking the bloody piss

I only just read the forum and can't believe that bloody message!!!!!!!!!!!! I was working in Thanet until 4am that sunday morning, i then drove straight to north London to get my boots etc and proceed to SLC....Once i got back into London I pulled over to speak to laurence coz i wanted to get a train and a lift because I felt sleepy at the wheel, but I realized i would not make it. So I proceeded to drive.
What actually happened is; as I reached a red light I texted laurence to tell him I would be a few minutes late, i then entered a tunnel with nooooooo rection so any call would go to voicemail, and I am not sure if it is well known, BUT IT IS ILLIGAL TO BE ON THE PHONE WHILE DRIVING AND EVEN IF I HAD A CALL I WOULD NOT HAVE ANSWERED COZ IT'S AGAINST THE LAW AND DANGEROUS. i only got the voicmail when i checked my phone as i left the A406 to be told you had already gone even though it was only 9:40. and even said in my text, "IF YOU LEAVE ME BEHIND CAN YOU TXT ME DIRECTIONS SO I CAN MAKE MY OWN WAY" i was not given directions but told not to try.
I cannot believe the message on here Lol and if that is the reason why I am dropped that takes the piss!!!
and if I had seen it before sunday just gone I would not have played!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was dissapointed you could not wait a few minutes but It was not a big deal because at the end of the day I was a few minutes late. but to read this bullshit message making it out like I was pissing everyone about is bang out of order.

Kizza, I'm afraid that message was NOT taking the piss.
I do not have time to keep texting people back at the last minute on a Sunday morning when I am trying to load all the equipment in the car, pick Terry and Daley up, drive to the Southbury, and then drive to the venue.
I had a text from you asking for someone to pick you up from a Tube Station and another text from you saying you would meet at the Southbury, so I was well confused.
That's why I tried phoning you, but unfortunately it went onto Voicemail.
I had no idea you had been working until 4.00.a.m. in the morning and was making a special effort to play. If I had known that, then I would not have said you were pissing us about.
It was Trev's decision to leave you out of the squad (originally) for the London Cup game, not mine, but now you have since turned up for that on time, it's matter closed as far as I am concerned and we get on with it.

See you at training on Thursday.
I have deleted your 'No' text message in answering my question of whether you are attending or not !

All sorted out now (by e-mail).

Kizza, for last minute things on a Sunday morning I will have to learn how to txt 2 u like dis m8.
Problem is, I am 49, not a 19-year-old.