THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM

THE EDMONTON ROVERS FORUM
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Training Next Season

Copying the message from Steve Cokell on the Eureka thread...

Just to change the subject slightly i think we do need training next year,i know in the past i've not been the most attentive at training but we need it at a good time and good day. e.g wed 7.30 not thurs 9pm or whatever its been. i know its hard to get somewhere because we haven't been booking somewhere regular but we need something. If we have new players joining and the youngers ones telling us they want training lets give it a go next year, i certainly need to be doing more!
I also think the problems we had of people not going when we had the reserves was a case of people like myself wooly and Con not wanting to get kicked by players who really were dogshit and couldn't understand training was for fitness and not for a chance to get stuck in to people. Anyway Lol you may want to cut and paste this as a new post but we should perhaps see what the general response to training is? If there has been a debate on the forum lately abouit training i haven't seen it!

Re: Training Next Season

If we have training next season, I can only make Wednesday nights, so 7.30.p.m.-9.00.p.m. would be ideal for me.
I would have to be there to organise things as Trev won't be there very often (due to Arsenal and work commitments with his wife's licensing business).
However, I am not a coach !

Obviously though, we are only going to get somewhere to train at that time on a Wednesday night if a new venue opens up and we get in first.

definatley need to do training i think this is the only team i know that dont train

If we have training, then it MUST be on an astroturf where there is a full-size goal available for shooting practice...not a 5-a-side court at Powerleague, which is probably the only place we are likely to be able to get at the moment.

Also, I am prepared to turn up to training if there are only 8 or 9 of us there...which I can guarantee will be the case most weeks.
However, Trevor will definitely NOT attend training if that happens, and also...how many of those 8 or 9 will get pissed off turning up every week to just do a bit of shooting practice then 4 v. 4 defenders v. attackers into one goal for an hour ?
How boring is that ?!
That's exactly what happened last time we had training and it's why we did away with training in the end.

The main priority for training must surely be fitness and ballwork, just because we don't have a full size goal for shooting practice doesn't mean we can't train. Why don't we use Hazelwood fields while the summer hours are in? Obviously not in place of 7's but as a compliment to it when the proper season starts next year. Arguably the reason we won the first few games of the season was because of our fitness from the 7's. At least it would show any new players or potentials that we have training. Like Danny said, i doubt there's any team in our league or any of the next 2 below us that don't have training.

I will only miss training on a Wednesday for Arsenal home games. I can usually arrange my work commitments to avoid training nights.

If we have training I want to have sufficient numbers there to be able to use my coaching skills.

Actually, there are quite a few teams in our Division, the Premier and the two below us that do not have training.
In some cases that's because they have players who play for Ryman, Spartan South Midlands or Herts Senior County League clubs on Saturdays and they train with them instead.
In other cases it's because they have the same work & family commitment problems that we have.

Tony, are you saying we should go over Hazelwood on a Wednesday evening in September when the season starts ?
We would have to start at 6.00.p.m. as it will be pitch black by 7.30....and they lock the gates at 6.30. !
There are no floodlights there !...and we wouldn't be allowed to open up the changing rooms for training sessions.
There is no way we can have midweek training in August when we are already playing 7-a-side.

I agree that the main priority for training should be fitness and ballwork, but I strongly disagree that a full-size goal for training is unimportant. How are Oz and Darryl going to get some practice ? Goalkeepers letting in silly ones in matches because we don't have training is a major problem for us...and our outfield players don't shoot enough from outside the area because they never practice it. Passing the ball is not a problem for us because we play 7-a-side.

The ideal training session as far as I am concerned is a 90-minute session as follows:
10 minutes stretching & warm-up.
20 minutes manic fitness & sprinting...with and without the ball. (Keepers do their own routine).
30 minutes shooting practice, set-piece practice, zonal marking practice, tactics, etc.
30 minutes 7-a-side with the first 15-20 minutes as one-touch, then two-touch, then three-touch and pass, move & call.

Tarby's training timetable

10 minutes studying the various takeaway menus and ordering food
20 minutes choosing DVD to watch while eating
30 minutes eating (this is variable but never less than 30 minutes)
30 minutes letting his food go down before he falls asleep

theres one at salisbury hall which onlty gets used one night a week and thats a tuesday its only down the a406 next to selco builders warehouse

Can you make enquiries as to whether we can use it on a Wednesday between 7.30 & 9.00.p.m. then (starting from the first Wednesday in September) ?

If our players want training, then they are going to HAVE to travel for it.
Most clubs in our League have all their players living in the same area, but we most certainly do not.
It will take a good hour to get to Chingford at that time of night from where a lot of our players live...so lets see how committed they are, shall we ?

Looked at Google Maps and found http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.60148,-0.007682&spn=0.008543,0.018497&t=h&z=16

Do you mean the one at the bottom right of Wadham Avenue, quite near the Greyhound Stadium ? (Surrounded by four cricket pitches ?)
Looks like there's a lot of sand on it if you zoom in a bit !?

No that is Peter May where we play and to be fair the astro isn't bad over there. Danny means behind the Sainsbury's I think which is before the Billet Roundabout on the left hand side.

Oh right. I see it now.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=51.605318,-0.018797&spn=0.004271,0.009248&z=17

It's a 5-a-side court astroturf on it's own...with no full-size goal (so we can forget about shooting practice then ?).

its not its more like 7 a side size and the goals aint full size they are just under, they are big enough though. peter may is a good astro but i think thats fully booked all year round

I have now resurrected this thread as there is a possibility that we may be able to get half an Astroturf pitch between 8.00. & 9.00.p.m. on Thursday evenings for training this season.

I don't want to say where it is at the moment or from what organisation we are hiring it from as other clubs will undoubtedly try to get in there first, but the venue IS in an area where we should be able to get a reasonable turn-out.
Unfortunately, the person I need to speak to in order to book this venue is on holiday until Monday.

It is more likely that the vacancy has already been snapped up, but you never know. I would imagine there is probably a long waiting list for a Thursday Night between 8.00 & 9.00.p.m.

From conversations I have had over the past few months, it seems as if at least 14-16 (an ideal number) of the following players would all definitely attend more or less every week if it is at this time on a Thursday:
Darryl (GK), Oz (GK), Tim Beeden (GK), Tem, James Whittick, Adriano (Oz's mate), Barney, Rob Brown (& other ex-London Ajax players), Daniel Daley, Danny Green (& other Norsemen players), Tony King, Loveday, Terry, Kizza, Speller, Clark, Greg, Josh (& other ex-Turf Moor players ?), Foysol, Robin, Jim Arrowsmith, Junior (if he is re-joining us ?), Colin Bester (might re-join us now Accies have folded) & Kris Spyrou (if he is not at University).

There is also Danny Hagan (who might prefer training with us on a Thursday night to training with Crouch End Vampires ?)...Danny, please confirm what the situation is here ?, and Steve Cokell, who has been playing 5-a-side regularly on Thursday nights for years, but again might prefer to train with us ?

I have not even mentioned the likes of Conor, Wooly, Stuart Dorward, Stuart Byhurst, Del & others, all of whom live too far away or have too many other commitments to come training except for 'once in a blue moon' !?

So...what do we think ?
Can I have some feedback before next Monday please, just in case by some miracle we manage to get this place ?

Just tell us where it is - this is like through the f***ing keyhole!

"Who trains on a pitch like this?"

Well it's fairly easy for you to get to from where you live, Junior !

Cool, I will be attending.

i will definately be there...

Can someone remind me ?...It it Thursday nights that a certain one (or two) of our players plays Netball as a priority ?!!!

i train on wednesdays for crouch end so thursdays is ok for me

As you stated i already play thurs so won't be there.

Laurence the anominity is not required, its Beeden and Barnard and no its Wednesdays that they don the skirt....

do they seriously play netball!?

Yep. I think there's some pictures on Facebook ?

haha i dont think i need to write what i think.....

Bandits at ten o' clock!!!

There is nothing wrong with playing netball with young ladies , the main reason I have lost so much weight is because I have been going netball training every week.

I will be available most Thursdays for training.

I thought you would just stand there eating pies.....hang on that's Tarby

I am ok for thursdays, barring work or netball injuries

massively gay

http://orford.tased.edu.au/historyph.jpg

1 2